Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a Honda guy, and a v8 fan but I recently bought a 99 legacy outback ej25d with 122k miles and no rust for 1800. Car drives great everything works awsome I love it. Had to do some minor fixes new cup holders, front pads and rotors new hatch struts etc, however I'm losing oil at an astonishing rate and thought I would ask if anyone could help me out before I took it to a mechanic and payed out the a$$ it's losing rought 1 quart every 200 miles of city driving when I stop I have oil burning off the front of the catalytic converter and I have no indications of head gasket issues temp stays normal. I have a check engine light the guy at auto zone said something about the catalyst not meeting something. However the previos owner had a stock wrx cat back welded on. No idea why but that's why the check engine light is on. Any ideas would be appreciated therwise ill stock up on super tech 5w30 and run her till she does being as it is my winter car.

·
Registered
'00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy - all rusted RIP, current: 2016 Focus MT
4,804 Posts
Speaking strictly of the oil, the main engine oil leak sources in this case (dripping on the exhaust) are likely to be the plastic rear access cover plate, or possibly the rear main seal, though those don't usually leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's probably going to be a costly fix as long as this car can hold me for a winter ill be fine. I would love to keep the car for at least another 100k but I just don't have money to throw away on a Craigslist special.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
The oil leak could also be the pan seal leaking, the oil drain plug washer, the oil filter, valve covers. It only takes a couple hours to pull the motor out then another couple to reseal, change t-belt, pulleys, water pump, thermostat, plugs then reinstall. It would be worth it. And, you could start from scratch on the maintenance intervals since you will know where you are with everything. And it is so easy, you could even do it yourself.

The CAT efficiency code can be explained here http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/49537-p0420-diag.html

·
Registered
'00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy - all rusted RIP, current: 2016 Focus MT
4,804 Posts
Oh yah if you just want to drive it as a craigslist special, just make sure you always keep the oil topped up. You can likely get away with even dollar store oil in this case considering how much it is leaking. If you let the engine oil pump suck air though, from getting too low, you will make her die a pretty quick death.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be completely honest I can do most maintenance myself but I hate working on power trains. I need to run a car fax on it before I sink money into it and evaluate whether or not I will be buying a new car soon honestly thinking about a 2010 legacy outback. In these short 2 weeks it has really grown on me.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
I put 300k miles on a 99 Outback without ever removing the engine or transmission. No HG issues either. Just scheduled repairs. I either got lucky with it or it was due to my meticulous nature with maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am still new to Subaru like you, so I don't know if yours is the same, but I discovered an oil leak on mine from the bottom of the oil pump. There are a couple of plugs similar to engine block drain plugs on the bottom of the pump and mine were just slightly loose and causing oil seepage. Probably not the main source of your problem, but at least its another place to look.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
920 Posts
I am still new to Subaru like you, so I don't know if yours is the same, but I discovered an oil leak on mine from the bottom of the oil pump. There are a couple of plugs similar to engine block drain plugs on the bottom of the pump and mine were just slightly loose and causing oil seepage. Probably not the main source of your problem, but at least its another place to look.
Those are the wrist pin access plugs, known leakers. The oil pump seal is right above that so that could be it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts