Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new front tires. The back tires are still in very good condition.

I have heard that you should buy 4 new tires whenever purchasing new tires? Is that true?

Can I just buy two new tires and keep the old ones. I was thinking, buy two new tires, put them on the back and the ones that are currently on the back putting on the front.

Will that cause any problems?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Your car is AWD. That means you buy only in sets of four. For that reason you should keep up on rotations so the tires continue to wear evenly.

Mixing tire tread designs, depths, sizes, etc will cause excessive wear and damage to your AWD system. Over time this could necessitate replacement of your transmission, or differentials. Meaning... much much more expensive than just buying 4 new tires.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
^ EXACTLY!!!!

Make sure the tire pressures are even so one isn't rotating faster than the rest due to low pressure.

And check that alignment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I will be replacing all 4 tires.

One question though. The 4 tires that are on my car now were purchased all at once. In my ignorance I have not had them rotated. They probably have 20,000 miles on them.

The tires in the front are VERY worn and in MUCH worse schape than the ones in the rear.

Why is this not causing problems now if those front tires are so much different than the rear ones?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
I would be surprised if you aren't experiencing some torque bind and other tire wear related issues. You may just not be noticing it right now, however extended driving like that and I would expect some big problems starting to crop up. If your rear tires are still brand new (as in, exact same tread depth) you may be able to get away with buying 2 new tires of identical make and model, but again, they would need to be the exact same tires with the exact same tread depth. Even if the fronts are worn down to 2-3 32nds, I'm betting the rears are probably at 7or 8. New they are most likely 10, so while still in good shape, you couldn't reuse them. I'd recommend throwing them up on craigslist and trying to get a few $ out of them there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts