Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked the guy down to $500, he says it runs well, it just has a lot of miles. Water pump, timing belt and front suspension replaced recently. Its a manual, doesn't look like it has rust. Should I be scared to buy an outback with that many miles on it?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
got a link? post it up.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Overall, for $500 it only has to run for 5K miles and you have your money back. So there is only a little risk. If it was an auto, I would say OK for sure. This assumes that the car is running fine. The clutch will fail on a manual subaru, but likely this one has already been replaced.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
personal choice.

why are they selling? there's usually a precipitating reason...find out what it is. if it's clutch related or engine related try to find out.

how good are you at assessing a vehicle?
if you get rosey colored goggles over cheap cars then your discretion might be skewed.

tons of miles but the comment above about it only needing to last a little while to be worth it holds.

if it's been well maintained 310,000 isn't necessarily scary. although i don't really like buying a manual trans with that many miles the chances of throw out bearing, input shaft bearing, clutch, pressure plate, synchro issues, torque bind aren't negligible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts