Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1999 Subaru Outback for my daughter. Seems like a good car, just needs a little TLC. Both Fog Lights are broken and I am trying to find replacements. Are there any aftermarket lights that would work for this? I can't get a straight answer from the manufacturers on whether they would fit or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, where's the best place to get a new power window switch for the Drivers Door? Drivers window doesn't work (switch broke off). Thanks

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Get an OEM one - new or used - Subaru, junk yard, ebay, or parts section of an online Subaru forum.

Sure try - but Aftermarkets often don't make direct fit items for Subaru's because subaru is a very low volume production vehicle, particularly in the 1990's, aftermarket barely touched them back then.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Be advised those 99's have egregious headgasket issues. They will randomly overheat and can go months between successive overheating events. And it's an interference enggine and should get a new Subaru timing belt and lower cogged idler as soon as possible. They usually bend half or more of the valve sif the belt breaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get an OEM one - new or used - Subaru, junk yard, ebay, or parts section of an online Subaru forum.

Sure try - but Aftermarkets often don't make direct fit items for Subaru's because subaru is a very low volume production vehicle, particularly in the 1990's, aftermarket barely touched them back then.
Thanks for the info. I did find one on Ebay this morning, so I should be good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be advised those 99's have egregious headgasket issues. They will randomly overheat and can go months between successive overheating events. And it's an interference enggine and should get a new Subaru timing belt and lower cogged idler as soon as possible. They usually bend half or more of the valve sif the belt breaks.
Good to know. Not 100% sure of the engine history, so if it overheats, that's one of the first things I'll have checked. Thanks

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Good to know. Not 100% sure of the engine history, so if it overheats, that's one of the first things I'll have checked. Thanks
Random overheats where the cabin heater starts blowing cold after a minute, are the first symptoms.

That engine doesn't show compression loss, mix oil and coolant, or blow visible smoke out the tail pipe - those are all worthless to even check on that engine. So don't waste time or worry with shops doing those tests.

If the headgaskets have been replaced, which many EJ25D's have by now, the failure modes can vary more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
K.F.C.
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing