Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a OBDII reader that Is OBDII on one end and USB on the other, I want to connect car to computer and see about some program that I can see CE Light codes, RPM's MPG's and maybe even edit ECU.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
From the looks of those the first link is the one you want. The second one looks VW specific and may be used for the VW factory tool.

That first link has the box I've seen on all scan tools used for translating the data to a different interface like USB or serial

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
The second, VAG-COM cable, or one like it, is used with FreeSSM.

See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...26-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html?

(Note: Some non-North American members have found that the 409 cable doesn't work with their late 90s/early2000s Subarus. This apparently has something to do with the cable; a different model cable seems to have resolved it. See around post #570 and following.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now with that OBDII plug could I possibly mod/edit the ecu and or reprogram the computer for performance, (most likely gas saving) Shifting RPMS.

Thank You

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
I needed to kill about 15 codes on my WRX due to stuck secondary air injection valves.

I used a tactrix cable, RomRaider and ECUFlash.(the cable was pricey, the 2 software packages were free downloads)

I have also recently been using RomRaider Logger to try to chase down an intermittent miss.

I am no expert. You would likely need to educate yourself quite a bit before risking flashing your ECU. You can 'brick' your car if not done correctly. I have no idea what, if anything, you can or would want to alter in an NA 1999 car, but, it may be worth asking at the RR Forum or some other Open Source tuner forum at NASIOC or elsewhere.

·
Registered
17,708 Posts
man, I have no idea. I doubt it's a cable-related data rate issue as, from what little I've read, the slow part of an ecu-cable-laptop OR ecu-elm327 bluetooth-smartphone system, is the ECU. There are several revisions of Tactrix so, you have to make sure you get the right one for what you're doing. tactrix is also $$$, vag-com $

Reading your ecu should be no problem but,honestly, you are probably in a unique position and will have to piece together anything you're doing in the way of tuning/re-flashing. Just gathering info here and there cause, I doubt too many people have gone down the path you've chosen. The turbo cars just have more to offer, in the way of tuning, than a '99 NA car and that is where the most knowledge/experience lies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My friend has a programmer called superchip for his dodge Dakota truck it has a USB type port that it can somehow be connected to computer. Is there a way to program it for my car? He said its specially for his truck? Says nothing about dodge on it

·
Registered
17,708 Posts
where did he get? If you can contact the manufacturer - that's a step towards finding out if it will work for other cars.

did you check out the link in post #4 ? those guys are your best bet here for good info on what you're attempting.

You could also search/post at NASIOC. NASIOC

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback Limited, EJ25D, 5 Speed Manual
4 Posts
I happen to use a cheapo bluetooth OBDII and my Android phone for all my ECU diagnostics. Sadly, in my research, I've learned there is no way to over-write the ECU on our generation (99 OBW Limited).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts