Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought it a week ago. Transmission does not slip what so ever. But when I put it in reverse the car drives rough. When its in drive its not that bad but its still a little rough. 168k miles. Need transmission fluid flush and filter(s)? Maybe dirty transmission fluid is the problem?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
well, if you feel it wasn't well maintained, or if there's the slightest question about fluids and 'upkeep' items, start with that.

also, the AWD system can be very picky about tires. they must be the same circumference - that usually means all the same model and WEAR level. any issue with tires can cause jerkiness with the car - particularly tight turns on dry pavement.

Other sources of roughness/vibration can be in the driveline - shafts,u-joints,axles,etc.

paying a soob-experienced mechanic for an inspection might help you decide what needs immediate attention, what can wait, what you may be able to do yourself, etc.

if you post your city, someone may be able to suggest a shop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, if you feel it wasn't well maintained, or if there's the slightest question about fluids and 'upkeep' items, start with that.

also, the AWD system can be very picky about tires. they must be the same circumference - that usually means all the same model and WEAR level. any issue with tires can cause jerkiness with the car - particularly tight turns on dry pavement.

Other sources of roughness/vibration can be in the driveline - shafts,u-joints,axles,etc.

paying a soob-experienced mechanic for an inspection might help you decide what needs immediate attention, what can wait, what you may be able to do yourself, etc.

if you post your city, someone may be able to suggest a shop.

Now my transmission has a filter on the outside that almost looks like the engine oil filter... I don't have 2 transmission filters do I? One inside and one outside? Someone help me I'm confused haha

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
that filter is considered by Subaru to last the life of the car.

Most people (including myself) would replace it if the transmission case were ever opened for service.

Some people do replace them after many thousands of miles or if they feel the car has seen severe duty or somehow been abused.

If you decide to replace it, do not use just any filter that will fit. probably best to get the new one from a dealer parts dept. or an on-line dealer (subarupartsforyou , or fred beans or subarugenuineparts ,w'ever) because it is internally completely different from an engine oil filter.

bottom line, you can probably leave it alone, but replacing it with the proper unit won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will a 1997 Subaru legacy transmission fit with no problems in my 1999 subaru legacy outback limited? I don't want to replace the transmission): I don't got that kind of money

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
well, that escalated quickly

(you may need to post a new question for that. There are folks here with experience doing transmission swaps. My guess is, it would work if the final drive ratios are the same)

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Need transmission fluid flush and filter(s)? Maybe dirty transmission fluid is the problem?
Yes, start here. If maintenance history is typical, the ATF hasn't been changed or changed on a regular basis. I'd do 3-4 drain-and-fills to replace nearly all the fluid. If you DIY it, it should cost well under $100 for this, maybe even under $50 if you buy ATF by the gallon. Any decent DEX/MERC fluid will do.

As mentioned, if you replace the external filter, use a genuine Subaru one. There is an internal screen filter that can be replaced, but this is seldom necessary.

ATs love fresh fluid ... it may be all you need. Good luck.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...anging-automatic-transmission-fluid-easy.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...762-subaru-transmission-filter-different.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a mechanic I know and trust look at it for free and drive it in reverse and drive in her parking lot. Then he put in reverse and gas and brake at same time and it was vibrating. He said its a mount somewhere that is metal o metal contacting creating vibration.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Had a mechanic I know and trust look at it for free and drive it in reverse and drive in her parking lot. Then he put in reverse and gas and brake at same time and it was vibrating. He said its a mount somewhere that is metal o metal contacting creating vibration.
That sounds like a reasonable diagnosis. After the mount(s) are replaced and the vibration is fixed, I'd still recommend a few drain-and-fills, especially if you don't know the maintenance history for the trannie.

My 97OB has 209,xxx miles on it and the AT still shifts smooth as butter. For the last few years, I've been doing a drain-and-fill every 12-18 months to keep the fluid as fresh as possible. I think it's working. Good luck with yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts