Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car almost overheated the other day on my way with a friend that was driving behind me to NAPA. We pulled it off to his garage which was beside NAPA and didn't work on it till the next day because it was late and I had school the next day. We thought it was a Thermostat, So we replaced it with the (NAPA) version of thermostat it was small in height than the other thermostat but the same width... We put it all back together and put anticoolant and water mixture into the radiator....heres the problem... I can drive it for a little bit a the tempature it used to be at before any of this happened... but then the tempature starts going up....as soon as it reaches 3/4 I shut it down and put it in neutral and turn on lights and coast..... What can be there problem? Air Pockets?? were trying to get them out but how do you know if you have them out. Or is it the thermostat that we used. Should we have used a Actualy Subaru Thermostat?? We did a pressure test on the car when it was turned off.(I forgot to meantion this in the post... we did the pressure test an hour after it first overheated...)

Our thoughts were when I get off of school we were gonna drain it and take the thermostat out and run the car without the thermostat and see if we still have the problem....

Any thoughts on what it could be....

1999 Subaru (Legacy) Outback Limited
2.5 DOHC.....Yes DOHC Pain in the ass.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,814 Posts
absolutely need OEM-style t'stat. known issue with typical aftermarkets. many people insist on dealer, but Stant and maybe Wix have Subaru style larger, 170* t'stats.

the Soob style have a larger wax capsule and are 170degree.

You can test the old one in a pot on the stove. you may have a more serious problem though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts