Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm opening a new thread to get better attention and hopefully someone can help me.

I had problems installing my 19mm RSB and stipped out one of the bolts that hold the bar up. I setup a new bolt and nut with a locking washer and tightened it up real tight. I looked under tonight to make sure everything was holding and I noticed that the bar had slid to the right and the metal circle ring that are on the RSB itself had slid next to the bushing on the right hand side. Now my problem bolt was actually on the left hand side. I loosened up the bolts and slid it back so the gap on each side was even and went for a ride. Well when I came back it had slid to the right again.

When I grabbed the bar and pulled as hard as I could I got it to slide back to the left but it took a lot of force. I know my strength is not anything near what the car puts on it but the brackets on the right side at the very least are tight and holding just fine. So at this point I'm inclined to think that if the bar wants to go right it could go left if needed to?

One thing I noticed when installing the RSB was that the bushing's were covered in this waxy substance. I got most of it off as it wasn't on the stock bushings so maybe thats the problem?

Anyway looking for some friendly guidance.....I need a beer.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I checked on mine several times back when to make sure everything was kosher. The bar will move back and forth. I left the waxy sustance on. I found it both left and right at different inspections. Don't know if we're both screwed up or it's normal but I quit worrying about a year ago with zero issues. Mine is left at the moment(I had to look:D) I prefer gold tequila.;)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I agree some movement is normal, I have noticed the same on mine.

On your bolts, especially your strip repair, make sure you use some Loctite. There is at least one member here who had their bar come loose on it's own.

If you take apart your repair bolt again, a Nylock nut is not a bad idea as well, if you did not already use one.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys that makes me feel better. I did the project at my in laws in the street and thankfully my father in law had a huge drawer of nuts and bolts to pick from. Here is what I did but I did come home and put Blue thread locker on tonight. I didn't think red was necessary.

I'll just quit worrying about it and drive!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
foxrider68
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing