Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know they made a lot of changes to the 2013s to address the body roll issues. So is it still worth it to buy the 19mm STI bar? I have searched the other threads and they don't seem to answer the question.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
2013 Stock sway bar is 16mm, so yes 19mm bar should be an improvement. How much? and is it cost effective? I couldn't say but I'm sure someone with a 2013 19mm will chime in on the difference.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its only $95 plus shipping.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
$95 is a very cheap handling upgrade. I plan on doing it on my '13 OB.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered it.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,226 Posts
Ok - stupid question here - what exactly is this? I am not a car guy. No idea what this is and how a 100 dollar easy to install part improves the ride of this car so much.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By replacing the rear sway bar with one that is 3mm thicker (stiffer) this reduces your Outbacks tendency to roll into a turn. The stiffer the sway bar the less body roll the car will experience.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,226 Posts
By replacing the rear sway bar with one that is 3mm thicker (stiffer) this reduces your Outbacks tendency to roll into a turn. The stiffer the sway bar the less body roll the car will experience.
So is there any side effects to this? I mean, if its so cheap and improves the ride - why would Subaru not do this from the start?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Ok - stupid question here - what exactly is this? I am not a car guy. No idea what this is and how a 100 dollar easy to install part improves the ride of this car so much.

Here is a picture comparing the stock and aftermarket Rear Antisway Bars.

BarCompare2.jpg

It mostly keeps the outside rear of the car during a turn from "rolling" or swaying. It also can help in windy conditions with "wandering".

It is a fairly easy job if you have basic wrench skills. It took me longer to get the tools, lights and a blanket to lay on than the install. It's two nuts on the end links and two-two bolt brackets that secure the bar to the frame. A shop would probably do it for $40-$50 bucks.

It made a huge difference on my 2011 but I have to admit I never drove my 2013 (12 miles home from the dealer) before I swapped it out. As a result I can't comment how much it helped or hurt the ride, but I really like the ride and manners of the 2013 with it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
So is there any side effects to this? I mean, if its so cheap and improves the ride - why would Subaru not do this from the start?
Subaru's idea of a smooth ride is a little too mushy for some people. They do it on their sportier models that's why there is a factory part available.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Not sure. I think Subaru is internally conflicted b/c they believe that a large number of their owners actually use the cars offroad, a situation in which you don't want stiff sway bars for maximum suspension articulation.

The reality is most owners never go offroad. A few will reply below about how they do but regardless it's probably less than 5% of Subaru owners (IMHO, I have no reference for that data).

I really wish they would just offer an offroad suspension package as an option for those owners and give us some real world suspension for the rest of us. I have driven the 2013 and while it is better than the 2010-2012 it's still a far cry from what it should be. It wasn't better enough for me to justify taking a $3000-5000 bath to trade in my 2012 with some minor suspension upgrades for a 2013.

We'll see what 2014 holds but I doubt we'll see much change.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Subarupartsonline.com

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I installed mine few months ago. I like the "european" stiff suspension (especially cornering) and I must say I am pleased with the ride. I had 2010 Forester XT before and when I had it in the shop for some repairs the dealer gave me 2013 OB as a loaner. What a difference in a ride - details posted by others on this forum. That alone made me get rid of the Forester and buy OB. The 19 mm is OEM on some other Subaru models and, as far as I know, is the stiffest OEM RSB that Subaru offers. The replacement is an easy modification that takes appx 30 minutes or so, with proper tools.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Subaru's idea of a smooth ride is a little too mushy for some people. They do it on their sportier models that's why there is a factory part available.
I'd say it's "too mushy" for most "Subaru material" people... folks who like Volvos', Audis' etc suspensions....

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts
Let's also not forget that, all other variables held constant, increasing rear sway bar diameter and thus stiffness will increase the chances for oversteer in certain emergency situations. I also assume that this is why Subaru recommends 2psi lower air pressure in the rear tires of all of their vehicles as well - to keep some lawyer happy er I mean keep the rear end planted.

With that said, I run the 19mm RSB and all tires at 35PSI all the way around, have manuvered 2 "emergency" deer situations, and have never had an issue. In fact, the 19mm is a safer setup in my book given that it keeps the rear a bit more solid/planted

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
I also assume that this is why Subaru recommends 2psi lower air pressure in the rear tires of all of their vehicles as well
I've always assumed the 2 lb. higher pressure in the front was to maintain consistent rolling tire circumference on all 4 tires (i.e. 2 lb. higher in front due to front biased weight distribution).

1 - 20 of 161 Posts