Subaru Outback Forums banner

1661 - 1680 of 1724 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Don't see why would be a tiny fraction. I sure as ** would not have bought the ** thing if not taking it off-road and same goes for just about everyone I know that owns one.
Good news.

I quantified those numbers last night.

This is actually with the 20mm bar. Not the 19 as I mistakenly reported.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
I looked around first, and didn't find recent answers to this question:
Where is a cheapest place to find this 19mm sway and bushings? Thank you
CKE is the best place to get your bushings, but I am a little biased. I am also not the cheapest. But I am the best.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Following this topic with interest, there are few places to find this stuff in Oz, did a search on ebay, found this Whiteline offering for the front and rear - again it's the 20mm rear sway bar..
I found two things interesting here in that offering - first, there are two holes on the extents of the bars for the connecting rod/arm, and - second, for the vertical rod/arms, there is an adjustment to increase or decrease the length of the arm.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Or just get a Jeep or something similar ;)
The operative words are "true off-roading" having said that I wonder because I have absolutely no data how many OB owners bought their OB because they want to go shall we say "off-pavement" like to camp sites or on the beach or just for snow. I also wonder how many Jeep owners do not go "off-road" Just curiosity on my part.

·
Registered
161 Posts
... there are few places to find this stuff in Oz, did a search on ebay, found this Whiteline offering for the front and rear - again it's the 20mm rear sway bar.. Anybody care to check this lot and evaluate the overall result the kit promises? ...
The following link is the same part number (BSK014) on Whiteline Australia's website that you linked to. It doesn't appear to be suitable for Subarus later than 2009 (what model do you have?). Looking specifically at the rear bar, the orientation of the two end link holes looks wrong to me, I thought they should be 90 degrees to what is shown. But I'm comparing it to a Whiteline adjustable rear bar for an SH Foz XT, so I could be wrong.

I would suggest a phone call to Whiteline's head office at Somersby NSW near the Gosford turnoff (see contacts page). In the past, the person I spoke to was very helpful answering questions & making suggestions. You may need to ask for technical advice & not sales. One comment I do remember; on the 20mm bar setting the support braces aren't required, but on 22mm or more they are recommended. That was for an SH Foz XT. I'm not sure about other models, but it is a question worth asking.

I've never felt the need to go any stiffer than a 19mm rear WRX STi rear bar on my previous Foz SH XT, Fox SJ XT & MY16 Liberty 3.6R, so I won't try & advise on heavier front & rear bars. On the rural bitumen pothole repaired roads where I live I could notice a slightly harsher ride with the 19mm STi rear bar compared to the stock 16mm (I'm in two minds about trying it on our 2019 Outback 3.6R because it rides & handles so well on rough roads).

Autobarn used to be able to order Whiteline parts in, but I think they charged RRP.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The following link is the same part number (BSK014) on Whiteline Australia's website that you linked to. It doesn't appear to be suitable for Subarus later than 2009 (what model do you have?). Looking specifically at the rear bar, the orientation of the two end link holes looks wrong to me, I thought they should be 90 degrees to what is shown. But I'm comparing it to a Whiteline adjustable rear bar for an SH Foz XT, so I could be wrong.
I had not noticed that. Good catch. You are 100% correct. The geometry is wrong, at least for the '19 and some previous years. The OEM sway bars definitely have that 90degree bend on the ends. These do not seem compatible.

·
Registered
161 Posts
... The geometry is wrong, at least for the '19 and some previous years. The OEM sway bars definitely have that 90degree bend on the ends. These do not seem compatible.
The rear definitely isn’t compatible. The following Whiteline link for the 2015+ Liberty (Legacy) rear bar shows the shape.

https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=BSR49XZ&sq=25683

That bar is 22mm adjustable, but it doesn’t say what the three main settings are. I would have thought 20mm, 22mm & 24mm, but the BL-281 chart (see their link at 'Kit Specifications > %Chart') indicates 1mm difference. So if I’m reading that correctly it would be equivalent to 21mm, 22mm & 23mm).

·
Registered
141 Posts
The operative words are "true off-roading" having said that I wonder because I have absolutely no data how many OB owners bought their OB because they want to go shall we say "off-pavement" like to camp sites or on the beach or just for snow. I also wonder how many Jeep owners do not go "off-road" Just curiosity on my part.
If this is any indication (https://www.iseecars.com/most-subarus-by-state-2016-study), the 10 biggest Subaru markets in the US are 10 states that get large accumulations of snow each winter. I've owned one Jeep and two Subaru OBs. I've taken the Jeep truly off-road in the southwest deserts and high into the northern Rockies. I wouldn't consider taking either OB into some of the places that I've taken the Jeep. The Jeep had much steeper attack and departure angles. I also had it equipped with heavy duty skid plates under the engine, transmission, and transfer case. These days I stick to forest roads and well traveled roads into the backcountry. I wanted a car that would serve as both a road car and a pack mule. The OB fits the bill. The Jeep was lacking in the road car department.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If this is any indication (https://www.iseecars.com/most-subarus-by-state-2016-study), the 10 biggest Subaru markets in the US are 10 states that get large accumulations of snow each winter. I've owned one Jeep and two Subaru OBs. I've taken the Jeep truly off-road in the southwest deserts and high into the northern Rockies. I wouldn't consider taking either OB into some of the places that I've taken the Jeep. The Jeep had much steeper attack and departure angles. I also had it equipped with heavy duty skid plates under the engine, transmission, and transfer case. These days I stick to forest roads and well traveled roads into the backcountry. I wanted a car that would serve as both a road car and a pack mule. The OB fits the bill. The Jeep was lacking in the road car department.
Well said. This is why I bought my OB. Jeeps suck as daily drivers, I live in SE Florida so 95% of all these $70k jacked up, modded RUBICONS never make it past the mall and there isn't a mountain to climb for 600+ miles. BTW, it cracks me up when SUV and Jeep drivers down here slow down and or change lanes for rain or puddles. Really? posers!

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Well said. This is why I bought my OB. Jeeps suck as daily drivers, I live in SE Florida so 95% of all these $70k jacked up, modded RUBICONS never make it past the mall and there isn't a mountain to climb for 600+ miles. BTW, it cracks me up when SUV and Jeep drivers down here slow down and or change lanes for rain or puddles. Really? posers!
Easy on the language, please.

We try to keep things PG around here.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I would suggest a phone call to Whiteline's head office at Somersby NSW near the Gosford turnoff (see contacts page). In the past, the person I spoke to was very helpful answering questions & making suggestions. You may need to ask for technical advice & not sales. One comment I do remember; on the 20mm bar setting the support braces aren't required, but on 22mm or more they are recommended. That was for an SH Foz XT. I'm not sure about other models, but it is a question worth asking.

I've never felt the need to go any stiffer than a 19mm rear WRX STi rear bar on my previous Foz SH XT, Fox SJ XT & MY16 Liberty 3.6R, so I won't try & advise on heavier front & rear bars. On the rural bitumen pothole repaired roads where I live I could notice a slightly harsher ride with the 19mm STi rear bar compared to the stock 16mm (I'm in two minds about trying it on our 2019 Outback 3.6R because it rides & handles so well on rough roads).

Autobarn used to be able to order Whiteline parts in, but I think they charged RRP.
Yeah, I looked at the photo on the ebay listing, there is a little text note at the top stating 'product images are for illustrative porpoises only' - this would be the reason things look strange.
I have a 2018 3.6R OB.
I might call the Somersby people, I live in Berowra so it's like 35k's up the road to have a look.
Jock

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The rear definitely isn’t compatible. The following Whiteline link for the 2015+ Liberty (Legacy) rear bar shows the shape.

https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=BSR49XZ&sq=25683

That bar is 22mm adjustable, but it doesn’t say what the three main settings are. I would have thought 20mm, 22mm & 24mm, but the BL-281 chart (see their link at 'Kit Specifications > %Chart') indicates 1mm difference. So if I’m reading that correctly it would be equivalent to 21mm, 22mm & 23mm).
or the 20mm version which should fit. It can be adjusted to the equivalent of a 19,20, or 21mm bar of the same material and shape.

and if you don't care about it being adjustable plus or minus, get the 20mm non adjustable kit

These adjustable ones have two braces that connect to part of the suspension and connect to the bushing bracket, and that might not fit your particular application. The 20mm non adjustable is just the bar, without the braces you may or may not be able to use.

Here are the changes in torsion of the whiteline bars... (it's not exact, but gives you an idea).

·
Registered
161 Posts
... and if you don't care about it being adjustable plus or minus, get the 20mm non adjustable kit. ...
That’s the one I was looking for. I don’t know why they don’t list it for the Legacy/Outback 2015+, but it should fit.

1661 - 1680 of 1724 Posts
About this Discussion
1.7K Replies
351 Participants
Danver
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing