Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to Subaru's & AWD cars. I pick up a '06 2.5i Limited last year and love it. I had a little accident over tightening a new oil pressure sensor and cracked the head this summer. Long story short, I've replaced/rebuilt some used heads and changed every seal I could think of while I had the engine out including clutch/flywheel (first time pulling out any motor; very fun build on a boxer).

Anywho, I still can't pinpoint why I'm still having this issues with the 1st gear even before I've changed clutch and flywheel. Every manual vehicle I've owned (mainly FWD cars) would want to move slightly forward on a flat surface if the clutch is slowly release to the grabbing point without the gas pedal making it easy to drive smoothly when balancing with gas pedal. With this car its a very short in 1st gear at the grabbing point and it will shutter like it wants to stall. I would have to ride the clutch more on 1st gear for a smoother ride. Every other gear shift fine. Is this normal for Subaru's because of the AWD and being a heavier car I'm assuming its more load trying to move all 4 wheels as opposed to 1 or 2 wheels like FWD cars.

P.S. This issue was the same before I changed the clutch/flywheel. Next would be the Clutch Master/Slave which is not leaking btw but I just want a more easier drive in the city or stop and go traffic without riding the clutch so much.

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOLVED!

I guess my 100k miles motor/transmission mounts were weak and couldn't hold all the torque no longer. So I've replaced the motor, dogbone & transmission mounts to all Group N's, along with the shifter & sub frame bushings. She rides a lot more solid and shifts even smoother than before. No more shuttering as everything firmed up, thanks.

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you have round motor mounts and went to rectangle ones?
I'm thinking of the same upgrade... just want to make sure it all fits.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANOV24G/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
Yes, the round ones were filled with oil and these solid rubber Group-N motor mounts did justice. I also matched it with a Group-N transmission mount which make a day and night difference. Last thing i did to sturdy things up was with whiteline rear differential bushings, which sucked to get out but i think it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the comparisons

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
846 Posts
Great thanks. I did order the type N motor mounts, and will do the pitch stop and trans mount later. I'm doing headers soon and I figured "while I'm in there" might as well get the motor mounts out of the way while exhaust is down.

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great thanks. I did order the type N motor mounts, and will do the pitch stop and trans mount later. I'm doing headers soon and I figured "while I'm in there" might as well get the motor mounts out of the way while exhaust is down.

Yea NP. Let me know how the headers and mounts turn out. I'm thinking about headers myself this summer. Also, try replacing the transmission mount before pitch stop. I think the pitch stop increases alot more NHV over the motor & transmission mount combined. But that my theory, I wish i would of put things one by one but that wouldn't of been an efficient to spend my time off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.