Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 2000 outback and i have been having a very frustrating problem. i cant tell if my tranny is going or if its just a problem with my clutch. so about an hour or so of driving after coming to a stop and starting back up in first my subaru shudders pretty violently and it happens more often on hills. this will also occur if theirs alot of weight holding down the car (full car of college kids or canoe on the roof). at first i thought i just wasnt used to the clutch considering i just got the subaru a couple weeks ago but now i highly doubt thats the problem and im looking for possible solutions. let me know what you think. thanks!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,542 Posts
well, you certainly could have some problem with the clutch system(clutch, slave cylinder, MC, fluid,, etc,) or the clutch itself but, since the car is new to you, I can suggest you try a coupla things.

The 2 main things that helped with my WRX was seat position and using a little more throttle. Try one click closer or one click farther back on the seat (readjust the seat back after each seat bottom adjustment)

and try a little more throttle - that seems to help my clutch grab with a little less bounce.

On the highway - in 5th gear - if you were to push it WOT, would the rpms go up with little change in speed? That is often what people notice with a 'worn out' clutch.

Do you know if the previous owner put in a new clutch? maybe the just used a poor aftermarket part.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
#1 is this due to your using the clutch or is the car doing this shutter thing when your foot is completely off the clutch pedal?

The 2000 - 2002's subaru used a clutch material that had a bad habit of getting grabby when you slipped the clutch ie burnt the clutch pads a bit. The description is used was - clutch chatter. Subaru replaced some of them if the owners complained enough but the clutch was fine if you kept the clutch dragging to a minimum and the chatter would go away except maybe on cold mornings.

My guess is that your dragging ie slipping the clutch way way too much and burning the clutch material causing it to get grabby and thus your clutch gets the chatter effect ie its not smooth.

I was just following a Forrester yesterday in stop and go traffic on a hill by mid hill he had smoke coming out from under the forester to the point that two cars behind him switched lanes to get clear of him. I caught a wif of the smoke 100% burnt clutch he was sitting there slipping the clutch to hold the forester in place on the hill vs simply using his brake.

A clutch is either fully on with your foot off the pedal or fully off 99.99% of the time - you shouldn't be slipping the clutch for anything other than backing the car into a tight spot or starting out in 1st gear on a very steep hill and even then you only slip the clutch for a split second before either having it fully engaged or released as you let the car roll backwards etc.

Even towing a very heavy boat up boat ramps I rarely slipped the clutch beyond the initial 1st gear engagement. For sure there are lots of people who simply do not know how to use a clutch these days - no shame in learning or relearning a skill if your not doing it right.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,542 Posts
yeah - 'judder' was the term they used.

I admit, early in my life I was way too willing to slip the clutch. Nowadays, i try to get off the clutch in the first 6"-1 foot of travel. probably stall the engine 2-3 times in 2-3-4 years. I'd rather risk stalling it than burn the clutch. It won't last long anyway since it mostly sees secondary roads with lots of stops.

I hate that I have a sloped driveway, I do have to slip it every morning leaving for work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
#1 is this due to your using the clutch or is the car doing this shutter thing when your foot is completely off the clutch pedal?

The 2000 - 2002's subaru used a clutch material that had a bad habit of getting grabby when you slipped the clutch ie burnt the clutch pads a bit. The description is used was - clutch chatter. Subaru replaced some of them if the owners complained enough but the clutch was fine if you kept the clutch dragging to a minimum and the chatter would go away except maybe on cold mornings.

My guess is that your dragging ie slipping the clutch way way too much and burning the clutch material causing it to get grabby and thus your clutch gets the chatter effect ie its not smooth.

I was just following a Forrester yesterday in stop and go traffic on a hill by mid hill he had smoke coming out from under the forester to the point that two cars behind him switched lanes to get clear of him. I caught a wif of the smoke 100% burnt clutch he was sitting there slipping the clutch to hold the forester in place on the hill vs simply using his brake.

A clutch is either fully on with your foot off the pedal or fully off 99.99% of the time - you shouldn't be slipping the clutch for anything other than backing the car into a tight spot or starting out in 1st gear on a very steep hill and even then you only slip the clutch for a split second before either having it fully engaged or released as you let the car roll backwards etc.

Even towing a very heavy boat up boat ramps I rarely slipped the clutch beyond the initial 1st gear engagement. For sure there are lots of people who simply do not know how to use a clutch these days - no shame in learning or relearning a skill if your not doing it right.
im pretty sure that yeah that shuddering is occuring when my foot is on the clutch. now will i have to replace these clutch pads? or is it just my driving ability?

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
im pretty sure that yeah that shuddering is occuring when my foot is on the clutch. now will i have to replace these clutch pads? or is it just my driving ability?
I've experienced this a few times when I forget that the load inside the car is different than what I'm normally used to (ie your experience of full passengers or heavy cargo). Same thing with turning on the AC. That pump really puts a drag on the engine. If I forget to use more gas to compensate for the increased load, it feels like the engine bounces a few times at the edge of stalling out, but then picks up again.

It's also been my experience that if you glaze the clutch material, doing your best to drive consistently thereafter with proper clutch use will eventually wear through the glaze and get back to operating normally. As others have said, it can take a while to dial in the seat position that works best for you.

·
Registered
2002 outback ej25 manual trans
52 Posts
Check your transmission mount. if it is worn/torn your car will shake/shudder especially on hills and under load. hope this helps

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts