Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been thinking about swapping a H6 into my 98 OB. But i have no idea where to start. Do I go with the 3.0 or the 3.6. Then how hard would it be to get the engine harness to talk to the body harness? I'm sure this has been done. Any advice, and so direction to go in would be grateful.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,320 Posts
There have been many documented H6 swaps.

I don't think it's going to be cost effective unless you have a complete donor car.

I would start researching by reading what others have done.

I documented my H6 swap here:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,628 Posts
do you have to plug in / pass emissions. ?

is their something wrong with the existing EJ25D ?

just get a H6 car. ...gen 2 outbacks have a whole lot nicer suspension.

I mean that is a stellar rust free gen1, but my 2002 H6 rides like a BMW 7 series in comparison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No there is no problem with the ej25d. I just really like the gen 1 OB's. I just want more power without going with a turbo setup. Once i have more power im going to lift it atleast 2 inchs. I just really want something that not everyone has.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,320 Posts
No there is no problem with the ej25d. I just really like the gen 1 OB's. I just want more power without going with a turbo setup. Once i have more power im going to lift it atleast 2 inchs. I just really want something that not everyone has.
Do you have dozens or hundreds of hours to devote to the swap?

Or the funds to pay someone else to?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really but i just talked to a buddy of mine about doing the H6 swap. He said there is a guy in our town that had two 98ish legacy's that both have a full H6 swap in. And they are both junk due to rust. So im going to see if i can buy one if not both of them.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,628 Posts
now I want to read this thread. ... under hood .pics of the rust buckets please.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
367 Posts
That is a very clean gen 1 and its nice to see a clean older vehicle stay on the road. I agree it seems like a lot of work but I think its really cool that you want to do this and look forward to you documenting it if you go through with this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts