Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the 2nd easiest oil change of my career.

Except, I thought I'd /never/ get the oil pan nut broken. They must have painted/welded and fried that sucker onto the pan.

And I think the Incredible Hulk put the oil filter on. Yiesh!

Didn't have to remove any of the bottom plastic trays or jack the car up. Which was extra nice. Hopefully, the next oil change will be a 30 minute job. Put a full hour into it yesterday, and have a very sore hand this morning.

But, I thought I read on here that I needed an oil filter crush washer. Could be wrong about that. Anyway, there wasn't one on the car when I took the filter off. Inspected the filter and the nut the filter spins on to very closely and there was no sign of a crush washer. So, I didn't put one back on.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
589 Posts
But, I thought I read on here that I needed an oil filter crush washer. Could be wrong about that. Anyway, there wasn't one on the car when I took the filter off. Inspected the filter and the nut the filter spins on to very closely and there was no sign of a crush washer. So, I didn't put one back on.
It was there ;) You should be fine to re use it once. Just keep an eye for leaks
I posted a DIY but the pictures links got messed up. AWDFTW should be fixing that for me soon
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...d-guides/31533-diy-10-11-3-6r-oil-change.html

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, Mine didn't have that, evil twin. I scraped and broke a fingernail flipping around with that too. And when that happened, I got out a screw driver. My VW used those as well. Though, I didn't focus quite as hard on that as I did the oil filter.

I'll keep a look out for leaks. It's got oil in it now. But I've not had time to start it up and check the levels. Hopefully, have a few minutes to deal with that today.

·
Premium Member
2012 Outback Limited 3.6R Pearl White, Moonroof, Protection Package, Side Molding, Puddle Lights, interior lighting package and STI RASB
68 Posts
Mine was the same way, except I did not have any problem with the filter. I ended up putting the drain bolt in the vice and using thin putty knives at the edge of the crush washer and tapping the handle with a hammer to get that original washer off. No problems since that first change, and it sure is nice to have everything easy to access vs my 4.6 V8 96 T-Bird where the filter is next to impossible to reach and remove.

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
There was likely a washer there, but thin and painted during engine assembly. Reusing it once won't hurt. You may need to follow the advise about using a putty knife to get the original one off. After the first one's off it's not an issue.

I prefer sticking with OEM filters as has been discussed at length on the forum.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Measure how much oil you drained out...see how much it's using. Seems most of our 3.6's use some oil, mine included. :rolleyes: I'm using Mobil 1 and saw about 0.7-1 quart disappear between my last oil change (7500-15K).

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to put the nut on the wire wheel next time. Probably about a year from now. :)

So far (@3200 miles), my 3.6 isn't using oil. I pour the oil out of the collector pan and put it back into the bottles I bought the oil in. Makes it easier to take it to the auto store for recycling. Filled up a 5qt to the brim and a 1 qt to the brim and the better part of another 1qt. Also, checked the stick before I changed it. It was just about perfect with the top hole.

I did put Mobile 1 in it. We'll see how it does. My F-150 drinks Mobile 1 like a drunk Uncle at an open bar. So, I've come to check it pretty often.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Wasn't your first oil change or first few included for free when you bought your car?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn't your first oil change or first few included for free when you bought your car?
Yes, the first one was. But I'd have had to driven it 75 miles 1 way to have it done.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Yes, the first one was. But I'd have had to driven it 75 miles 1 way to have it done.
Ahh ok. I live in Denver and we have about 4 or 5 Subaru dealers in the area.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh ok. I live in Denver and we have about 4 or 5 Subaru dealers in the area.
Ditto. But none of them here wanted to play ball. So, I didn't hesitate to go to another state. :)

Plus, I don't mind doing my own work.

Oh yeah, I neglected to mention. Whilst under the car, I saw many, many places with rust. Mostly bolts around the suspension. Is that common for a car that's 5 months old?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to locate drain plug?

I found the oil filter after removing the little plastic door. I couldn't feel the drain plug. How skinny is the guy who didn't have to run his up for the change? I haven't run it up on my ramps yet. My salesman at the dealership warned me to be careful as some quick lube places have drained the transmission fluid by mistake.

I purchased a K & N filter as it was rated best. I didn't go for the Amsoil this time, but the Pennzoil Ultra was rated second in most tests. My brother says that I'm nuts to be changing my own oil at 75 yrs. of age. What I do need is one of those Pennzoil beanies the mechanics used to wear when I was a kid.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
473 Posts
Probably the 2nd easiest oil change of my career.

Except, I thought I'd /never/ get the oil pan nut broken. They must have painted/welded and fried that sucker onto the pan.

And I think the Incredible Hulk put the oil filter on. Yiesh!

Didn't have to remove any of the bottom plastic trays or jack the car up. Which was extra nice. Hopefully, the next oil change will be a 30 minute job. Put a full hour into it yesterday, and have a very sore hand this morning.

You state above "oil filter crush washer" there is no such thing and I assume you mean a drain plug crush washer ???

·
Registered
167 Posts
That is the only thing I don't like about Subaru.
Unlike Chevy, Ford, Honda, etc with a half dozen dealerships of each within a short drive, my closest Subaru dealership is 37 miles away in Little Rock.
The next closest is Memphis followed by Fayetteville, AR.

Some people who have never tried Subaru may never try Subaru because they won't drive 150 miles just to look at one.

About the crush seal, if my memory serves, mine was nearly invisible and could only be separated with a sharp pocketknife.

John

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
498 Posts
I found the oil filter after removing the little plastic door. I couldn't feel the drain plug. How skinny is the guy who didn't have to run his up for the change? I haven't run it up on my ramps yet.
I'm 6'2 and 285 or so lbs, had no problem doing an oil change on my '12, the drain for the 3.6 sits off to the left side of the pan.(Left=driver). I also installed a fumoto valve, no worries about having a crush washer ever.

BTW, watch what oil filter you use, Subaru uses a higher rated relief valve spring, not many have the higher spring rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts