Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered mine on the 21st and it showed up today, extremely well packed and looks like a very nice product. The magnet in this thing is STRONG!
Looking forward to installing it this weekend and getting some miles on it!

·
Registered
2000 Green OBW (Maia)
480 Posts
I'm still waiting on a complete review on this thing. I'm doubtful as to how much metal these things will pick up as our engines are aluminum blocks.

However, I stuck hard drive magnet on my drain plug when I changed my oil today :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why you would be worried about the block waring out..? Its going to be bearing material that you find on the magnet first if theirs problems in your motor.

I thought about going the HD magnet route but then decided that I really didn't want to remove the plug one day to find that the magnet had made its way else where in my pan/motor.

Ill post a pic of the magnet next oil change, still have about 3k to go.

Greg

·
Registered
'11 Outback 3.6R (5EAT)
492 Posts
I'm still waiting on a complete review on this thing. I'm doubtful as to how much metal these things will pick up as our engines are aluminum blocks.

However, I stuck hard drive magnet on my drain plug when I changed my oil today :D
I don't see how this product could hurt.

Plus, on manual transmission cars, the crankshaft and thrust washer are a steel-on-steel contact, and since you're pressing the clutch down to start the engine while there is momentarily zero oil pressure (just oil film).

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Limited
135 Posts
I had a friend in the '80s who was an absolute die-hard Subaru fan. One day he was explaining to me how Subaru engineers cars, and he showed me how Subaru inserted magnets on the the oil drain plug on his Imprezza (I think that is what it was, but it may have been a Justy).

Granted engine technology has changed a LOT in the last 25+ years, but I can't imagine that adding this to a new engine would do any damage.

·
Registered
97 Outback 2.5L DOHC 220k miles
661 Posts
Wait, this is a magnet for the crankcase?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
Aren't the bearings in an engine non-ferrous ( lead, copper, molybdenum)? Our block is Aluminium, but it does have steel cylinder liners, valves, springs, rockers, rods, cam.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,204 Posts
I have had a magnetic oil drain plug (different brand) on my OB for quite some time. It does collect some very fine black particles. So small, they aren't even noticeably gritty when rubbed between two fingers...but they're there.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 102K, 7/19.
414 Posts
These things have been around since the beginning of time. The company may be a sponsor, but this is snake oil. The only benefit to anyone by the purchase of these things is the vendor and the shipper. Oh yes and the buyer since he will be lighter by a few bucks and will get better gas mileage.

Maybe the next thing will be the gas line ionizers! "Put these wonderful magnet thingies on your fuel line and ionize your gasoline for better performance. Only $19.99 plus shipping and handling!"

·
Registered
2000 Green OBW (Maia)
480 Posts
I don't see how this product could hurt.

Plus, on manual transmission cars, the crankshaft and thrust washer are a steel-on-steel contact, and since you're pressing the clutch down to start the engine while there is momentarily zero oil pressure (just oil film).
sorry I didn't reply to this sooner.

i never said that the product would hurt, just that I don't really see if being that beneficial. there is so little iron and steel in our engines, I don't see this thing doing what the oil filter can't.

now see, I've owned a car with an iron block before, and that is definitely an application where i could see using one of these plugs being beneficial. occasionally when I changed the oil in that car I'd see iron filings stuck to the drain plug (apparently it was slightly magnetic) about a 1/4th the size of the kind you'd see when you explain magnets in high school science class.

but seeing as how most of our engines are aluminum, I don't think these magnets are going to pick up very much-definitely nothing scraped off the engine block.

·
Registered
08' Outback Limited
428 Posts
I guess if they catch stuff they are working. They seem really pricey though!
I am pretty sure Napa carries universal ones that would fit for a lot less. :8:

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,041 Posts
IMHO the magnets would apply more in the transmission(s) and differentials than in an aluminum engine. Steel gears grind a lot more than an engine at its internals would.
My BMW motorcycle has a magnetic drainplug on the final drive, from the factory, for good reason as the gears are under great stress when riding offroad. I sometimes find a very fine powder on it when changing the oil.
I will get them for my tranny and diffs where applicable..

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,364 Posts
My 01 H6 has a big magnet in the oil pan stock. You cannot see it unless you remove the oil pan. I think most subaru's do as well. Part number for the magnet is 31392AA030. Looks like Subaru has been using magnets in the oil pan since atleast 94.

·
Registered
"Tank" - 2011 OB 3.6R w/ Nav & Moonroof in Graphite Grey
872 Posts
These things have been around since the beginning of time. The company may be a sponsor, but this is snake oil. The only benefit to anyone by the purchase of these things is the vendor and the shipper. Oh yes and the buyer since he will be lighter by a few bucks and will get better gas mileage.

Maybe the next thing will be the gas line ionizers! "Put these wonderful magnet thingies on your fuel line and ionize your gasoline for better performance. Only $19.99 plus shipping and handling!"
Is this what you are talking about: Transform Fuel for Increased Fuel Efficiency and Maximum Performance - Fitch Fuel Catalyst? It Looks like the price went way up. :gasp:

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
I run Dimple magnetic plugs in the Crankcase, Gearbox, Driveshaft and Final Drive of my 1973 BMW motorcycle, it had magnetic plugs already but the Dimples are WAY bigger and stronger, they ARE NOT magic BUT they are a great early-warning-system and they keep the junk from being recirculated.

Vince

1 - 16 of 16 Posts