Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just bought a 2010 Outback 2.5i Ltd w/ 133k miles. Loving it so far.

Couple questions:

1) The volume switch on the steering wheel doesn't work, but all other steering wheel buttons are fine. Where should i start looking for a solution?

2) This car has a CVT transmission, and I'm struggling to understand the point of the paddle shifters on the steering wheel given that it doesn't have traditional "speeds".

Thanks, and I look forward to being an active member of the community!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
Hi all,

Couple questions:

1) The volume switch on the steering wheel doesn't work, but all other steering wheel buttons are fine. Where should i start looking for a solution?

2) This car has a CVT transmission, and I'm struggling to understand the point of the paddle shifters on the steering wheel given that it doesn't have traditional "speeds".

just like a manual trans or a regular automatic there will be times that you will want to pull gears for engine braking to save brakes.
= manual mode and paddle shifters.

such is in your owners manual. pulling the paddle shifters really does slow the car when decending a grade and nice to have when there is a stop sign at the base of such grades.....try them.:smile2:

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Hi all,

Couple questions:

For #2, it gives you more control of efficiency/acceleration while accelerating for torque/horsepower, but more importantly allows you to better use engine braking on down slopes. This becomes more important in mountain driving where it's a bad idea to ride the brakes.

I wish there were a dial to choose more precise variable ratios: seems silly to have it be a set of fixed ratios with a CVT.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still plowing through the manual, so i appreciate your patience and input! I live in Chicagoland, which is mostly flat, so that probably explains why i didn't think about hill descent!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I'm still plowing through the manual, so i appreciate your patience and input! I live in Chicagoland, which is mostly flat, so that probably explains why i didn't think about hill descent!

Thanks again!
Having driven in Chicagoland, yes, it's hard to justify engine braking there, even for highway off ramps :grin2:

There's a WA-520 off ramp in Redmond, WA that has a long off ramp with a posted 7% grade.

I know of one paved street in Seattle with a steeper grade than the famed Lombard Street in San Francisco, and there are many not quite as steep downtown, as well as in the area, without even getting into the mountains nearby.

Conclusion: you need to visit mountains to get your maximal ROI of your Outback:smile2:

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
609 Posts
Hi all,

Couple questions:

1) Not sure about the volume button question - maybe contactor damaged - if it was me I'd want to take it apart and may be a simple fix.

2) There are 6 manual preset ratios in Intelligent (I) mode when M is selected and use shift paddle buttons to up/downshift.

and in Sport Sharp (Sports*) mode there are 8 preset manual ratios for better acceleration.

The gear/ratio selected is displayed in small panel between speedo / tach.

And also agree particularly useful for manually downshifting for engine braking on significant slopes in order assist in braking by not having to overuse / ride /overheat brakes

http://www.atra.com/Webinars/Import/Subaru_Lineartronic_CVT_Introduction.pdf

Also have this ( shift paddles and 3 transmission modes) also on my ancient 2006 3.0R S I drive 5EAT

Reactions: Randy Field

·
Registered
MY11 Outback 2.0D
10 Posts
Hi all,

Couple questions:

The same thing happens on my 2011 Outback, volume down sometimes works and volume up never works! Cruise control and bluetooth buttons work fine.

This seems to be a fairly common issue with BM/BR Legacys/Outbacks. Subaru USA issued a "Technical Service Bulletin" out for a steering wheel clock spring which form some people fixed the problem, some people fixed the problem by only replacing the switches on the steering wheel. Subaru Australia issued no such recall, maybe we didn't get the same issue (even though my car behaves the same...) or maybe recalls here are only announced when there is a potential for death and injury...

Perhaps a first step would be to research this "Technical Service Bulletin" and see if you're entitled to a fix, even if it's outside of warranty.

Personally, it hasn't bothered me enough for me to start tearing apart my car to find the faulty part or taking my car to Subaru and/or an auto electrician to diagnose, so long as the cruise control still works and my arms don't get any shorter I'll just ignore it :laugh:

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R
77 Posts
Is your stereo the OEM Subaru unit?

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
TSBs may or may not be affected by a recall (at least in the US). Most car manufacturers only do recalls under threat from the US NHTSA or if it has a bad image effect.

Some TSBs are just communication from Subaru to dealers of how to fix something that has been an issue in the field.

·
Registered
MY11 Outback 2.0D
10 Posts
The same thing happens on my 2011 Outback, volume down sometimes works and volume up never works! Cruise control and bluetooth buttons work fine.

Personally, it hasn't bothered me enough for me to start tearing apart my car to find the faulty part or taking my car to Subaru and/or an auto electrician to diagnose, so long as the cruise control still works and my arms don't get any shorter I'll just ignore it :laugh:
Today I finally got around to pulling apart the steering wheel to try and diagnose the issue and it ended up being a tiny piece of loose plastic within the connector. I removed this plastic in the process of measuring the resistance with a multimeter, I was confused when all the readings came back normal but once I put it all back together the volume controls now work perfectly!

If you want to have a try, all you need is a T30 torx bit to undo the two screws that hold the horn button and airbag to the steering wheel and a 10mm spanner to undo the battery negative (I suppose you could do it without removing the battery negative, that would make you a braver person than I!). Once the horn button and airbag was out I just rest it on top of the steering column and that gave me plenty of access to the connector for testing. The workshop manual specifies 10Nm (7.4 ft-lb) to tighten the T30 screws back up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts