Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I know subaru made (they may still, Ive seen conflicting info) a diesel 2.0L motor. Does anyone have experience with them?

can they directly replace the gas counterpart (2.5i), i.e. bolt to the same trans?

has anyone swapped it over for here stateside?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't bother. There have been a few people overseas that came in here and had trouble with them, not worth it in my opinion.
sounds like all the more reason to do it. Its this or take a VW turbo diesel. Either way, the gas motor needs to go, because a V8 in my daily commuter wont help my fuel cost any.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i
4,486 Posts
sounds like all the more reason to do it.
Um, I don't follow your logic. Let's see, the 2 litre turbodiesel was never available in the US or Canada, there are no trained mechanics and repair parts, the swapover would probably make an H4 to H6 swap look like a cakewalk in comparison, it would not be legal to register it equipped with this engine, should you ever succeed with the swap, and many of our members from the UK, EU, Aus, and NZ say that this engine has been problematic. What could possibly go wrong?

Its this or take a VW turbo diesel. Either way, the gas motor needs to go, because a V8 in my daily commuter wont help my fuel cost any.
Why do you think a turbodiesel is the only economical option to a big V8?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, I don't follow your logic. Let's see, the 2 litre turbodiesel was never available in the US or Canada, there are no trained mechanics and repair parts, the swapover would probably make an H4 to H6 swap look like a cakewalk in comparison, it would not be legal to register it equipped with this engine, should you ever succeed with the swap, and many of our members from the UK, EU, Aus, and NZ say that this engine has been problematic. What could possibly go wrong?

Why do you think a turbodiesel is the only economical option to a big V8?
oh a great many things could. Im a body tech, and a mechanic. So I really would’ve need anyone for the swap per se. parts I understand your point. Also, who would know I motor swapped a vehicle? There aren’t any emissions out this way.

A T/d, is far more economical than a gas motor. And outside of, say a twin turbo audi motor, I see no reason for a gas motor. I hate working on them, and they don’t last as long as most vehicles do outside of the salt belt. I also have a spare 351w, and ill work on the windsor V8’s. I should I say I will. Ive collected most of the turbo international parts I need for a diesel swap in my truck.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i
4,486 Posts
Good luck to you. Please post results, this will be an interesting conversion to follow!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill get to it eventually!
also depends on the ability to source one too. If not, a VW 2.0 and manual swap would be nice

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,800 Posts
If you can import an entire front clip (or preferably an entire vehicle) with an untouched harness and associated parts I say go for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can import an entire front clip (or preferably an entire vehicle) with an untouched harness and associated parts I say go for it.
I hope I can get my hands on one. Especially with a manual trans, fun to drive, easy to fix if it breaks.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,318 Posts
Having looked in this swap, it's doable; but be ready for some expenditures and to have it all taken away from you.

There's two ways to get an EE20 stateside: Either get a crate engine from boxeer.com (who revolves around standalone swaps, such as hill climb cars and Vanagon conversions) OR find an importer you like to bring in a whole front clip.

The EE20 was essentially its own beast. The 6MT has it's own gear set, the fuel tank/lines/emissions were unique, struts/springs were unique, etc. Plus, the electronics and instrumentation were unique.

So, aside from the high cost (last front clip I saw was 2 years ago and that was $5500), parts are 100% import only (clutch, glow plugs, gaskets, exhaust, etc), and no diagnostic support, if the car becomes a total loss, insurance will probably cap at $7000 (or less). Assuming the wreck is not in the front end, you MAY be able to salvage your investment.

I'd still like to do it some day, but it's a lot of liquid cash to have to lay out for a pet project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts