Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Got a bit of a strange one.

Recently bought my 2.0D 2010 Subaru Outback Manual, and after I've been driving the car for a while (about 2 or so hours) across the day, the car violently judders when I move off the line in first gear. Has anyone else had this problem?

Eg. About 3 weeks ago, I drove from home (Melbourne) to Wangaratta, about a 2.5-3 hour drive by Freeway. When I left home, everything was fine. After 3 hours of driving, I arrived at Wangaratta, and without changing my driving style, the car started violently shuddering when I attempted to pull away from lights.

Weirdly, this can also sometimes occur when going up steep(ish) hills, but once again, only after I've been driving a while

In my opinion Its a clutch issue, and I can more or less get around it if I slowly get the car rolling then quickly drop the clutch, but I hate doing it, and I'm looking to try and fix it.
Either way this has got me beat!
I bought this car not too long ago, and it can really get me down.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,130 Posts
This could be in the clutch or the engine.
Does it always take a couple hours for it to start acting up, or has it been doing it consistently since the first time it acted up?
Any DPF messages or codes?
Have you switched fuel brands?
When was the fuel filter replaced last?
How's the oil level and condition?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0RN H6
27 Posts
Hi there, I don't have a solution sadly, but have had a very similar experience.
My Renault Master van, 2006 (which I've had from new) started to do this quite a few years ago after Renault replaced the clutch friction plate unnecessarily, just over 2 years old and 25,000 miles. It was like new. The problem was slipping under load. It actually transpires that this is caused by the non return valve in the clutch hydraulic line allowing pressure to build and putting a little pressure on the clutch. They fit this NRV because the line goes up from the master cylinder above it, then down on the other side, so I presume the fluid would drain back without it.
I deal with it every now and again, when I judge the clutch pedal is biting rather high, by bleeding some fluid out at the slave cylinder end.
I didn't end up paying them.
A few months later, when it was hot weather, (it's relative as I'm in the UK!!) it would judder like crazy in first or reverse. It is usually far less likely to do it in cool weather.
It would just get worse if I didn't "nurse" it.

When it plays up, if I am very light on the clutch, bringing it up VERY gently, it is less severe, but if I carefully set off in second it will strangely settle the action for a while, days, weeks or even months!!

It will start to do it if I get stuck in heavy traffic, and the clutch gets hot, so I'm just very conscious of how I drive it and NEVER sit with it in gear because I know it won't like that at all!!

So for 12 years and 80,000 miles that has worked for me!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts