Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a complete motor to replace my EJ25 (2.5L) from a 2000 Outback Legacy manual transmission. I have found several 2.0L on the internet saying they replace 2.5L. My friend who is a mechanic is not sure if the writing harnesses, flywheel, or other pieces of the puzzle are compatible. Does anybody else know if those are viable replacements? I've been trying to find as local as possible so if something is not right I can reach out and touch someone, but I have no idea who is reliable and who is not. Just trying to get this done as soon as possible with the least amount of hassle. Thank you.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
too hard, for not enough power / torque in the end.
the JDM 2.0 are not drag and drops for US spec engines as the importers suggest. (some projects never make it back to the road, hard to tune,
and pass emissions).

and for you regular Ej251 automatic and EJ252 manuals are just laying around in parts yards.
parts warehouses or in rust bucket cars looking for home. (to mix and match those just need to swap intakes,...pulleys/ idlers )

find them on car-part.com ,...craigslist etc.

if you live in someplace like southern California, and have few prospects, this guy did get a JDM SOHC 2.5 for his project,
and did ask about pokey turd 2.0 early on, (and a 2000-2004 outback is like the heaviest bodies subaru made,...before the tribeca)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ngine-swap-us-jdm-ej251-diy-head-gaskets.html

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
If you swap your intake manifold, cam and crankshaft sensors and the cam sprocket that triggers the cam sensor (as well as the crank sprocket) from your 2.5 to the 2.0 it should work. I just swapped a EJ20 into a 2003 Forester that had an EJ25 with a manual transmission and all in all it was an easy swap. Runs great!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the 2.0 swap. It's easy. Like stated before swap the cam pulley crank pulley and your intake manifold over. Along with the coolant crossover pipe. Fortunately for me the motor I got had the correct cam and crank pulley already. 50k miles and cost me $650. When I did mine I also replaced every gasket and seal along with timing belt components. Easier to do it on an engine stand then in the car.
Also if your original motor is a non egr. You can get the egr motor. Just remove those components and use the oil drain plug from your old motor to plug the port on the back of the cylinder head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts