Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn between keeping my 2011 OBK and trading it in for a Forester XT. I love the roominess and refined ride of the OBK, but want all the new tech goodies; eyesight, push button, etc., and turbo of the forester.
Tried searching online for any word on the next gen OBK, but came up with nothing. I'd be willing to stick it out for another year or two with this OBK and trade it in for a turbo OBK.

Anyone know or hear anything on the possibility of Subaru sticking the new motor/turbo on the next OBK?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,438 Posts
Haven't seen anything specific, but the '15 outback is widely expected to be a major revamp (5th generation) and probably a new body style and Fun Goodies sized to fit it. I'm really looking forward to it, so far only the odd-numbered Outback generations have appealed to me. ;)

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
My guess is the only new powertrain on the horizon for the Outback is a gas/electric hybrid. I think Subaru feels the 3.6L fills the needs of the "more power" crowd, and if you want something sporty you'll buy the Forester or a WRX.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I'm with Rockhop on this one. They had the XT and it didn't sell well. I don't think there is enough to support bringing back the turbo.

The XT has always sold well with the Forester because it handles great and is a fun drive. I think they are going to keep the 2.5 around for the OB, eventually going DI to get some more HP and mpgs. And they'll keep the 3.6 around to pacify those that just need more power. It sells in such low volume it won't hurt CAFE much, especially if you add a hybrid into the mix.

I personally don't think the 5th Gen is going to be a big overhaul. It will certainly bring more options and a new look, but I think they'll stick to the footprint and overall size they have now along with a hybrid option.

What do you want out of a turbo OB? IMO the Forester or a WRX are better options for the high end power the trubo offers. In the end a turbo OB isn't going to handle any better.

Now a Legacy GT Wagon.... YES PLEASE :D

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
I think Subaru feels the 3.6L fills the needs of the "more power" crowd
Don't bet on that, the 3.6R just went extinct in Germany, starting with MY 2013.

...North America won't be far behind,

Looby

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Now a Legacy GT Wagon.... YES PLEASE :D
They just dropped the GT this year. Sad. It seems only WRX and Forester have the turbo now? Sad, I really like my OBXT. The parts counter guy just mentioned (when I was there getting odds and ends for my time belt job), "Man, so many people come in here mad that there isn't an turbo Outback anymore." Of course this is Boulder, CO.

I would think the Forester wouldn't drive as nice as an outback, but I haven't driven in a Forester. I know my 05 OBXT is a very comfortable ride.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Legacy 3.6R, Venetian Red Pearl, EyeSight.
96 Posts
It's sad that Subaru doesn't make a turbo Outback anymore. I've always liked them and felt that the OBXT added a bit of masculinity to driving a wagon. Personally, I like the practicality of the Outback wagon, but I wish the 4 cylinder had a little more power. I grew up driving turbo cars, and I loved it. But like other people have said on here, the 3.6 fills the power need for people who want more power, and it had similar mileage and power ratings as the turbo the last time I checked. Still, sad about the no go on the turbo.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
They just dropped the GT this year. Sad. It seems only WRX and Forester have the turbo now? Sad, I really like my OBXT.
I know, sad indeed. I LOVED my '08 Legacy GT and was hoping I could replace it in a few years. They also don't offer a sunroof with a MT :(

I would think the Forester wouldn't drive as nice as an outback, but I haven't driven in a Forester. I know my 05 OBXT is a very comfortable ride.
I guess it depends on what you define as "nice". It's a harsher ride and not as "comfortable" as the OB. But it can cut up the corners and sticks to the ground much better, allowing you to fully enjoy that Turbo :29:

When I want a comfortable ride or take a long trip I'll pick the OB all the time. When I want to have some fun and zip through some back hills, it's the Foz FTW. (of course the MT helps too :D)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess what I really want is the comfort/roominess/good mpg of my OB, along with some oomph when I stomp the pedal. The 3.6 sucks on mpg with 18/25/20, unlike the new forester xt's 23/28/25 mpg.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It is interesting the the Forester's engine is entirely new, not the old 2.5L we're use to. It would be really nice if they would put that engine and CVT in to an outback, but the smart money says they won't anytime soon. But who knows...

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
It is interesting the the Forester's engine is entirely new, not the old 2.5L we're use to. It would be really nice if they would put that engine and CVT in to an outback, but the smart money says they won't anytime soon. But who knows...
LOL they already did the new engines were added in 13. The Forester rebuild was needed to fit the new CVT. They dropped the new engine in the old Forester to try and get another year or two out of the outdated model.

The Oldest engines currently offered in the Subaru line up is the WRX 2L and the 3.6 now.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
According to my dealer sales manager (who has worked with Subaru for nearly 30 years) there will be a 2.0 turbo on the 2015 Outback and the 3.6R will be gone. No details on HP or tuning at this point.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Interesting to see if this turns out to be true. I assume it will be the same 2.o turbo + CVT in the forester, which is around 250 HP. Quite a reversal from the last 3 years or so, but I'll be happy to see that.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
LOL they already did the new engines were added in 13. The Forester rebuild was needed to fit the new CVT. They dropped the new engine in the old Forester to try and get another year or two out of the outdated model.

The Oldest engines currently offered in the Subaru line up is the WRX 2L and the 3.6 now.

As far as I can tell, the 2013 still had the 2.5L

From Cars101.com for the 2014 Forester model: "new XT model- this is an all new performance model with all new 2.0L 250hp engine with all new high-torque CVT with new 6 and 8 speed Paddle Shifters (depends on SI drive setting). The suspension is stiffer and brakes larger than on 2.5i models. SI-drive is standard for driver controlled throttle response and determines if the CVT acts with 6 or 8 speeds in manual mode. SI-drive has been available on other models including the STI."

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Nickshu, I hope you're right. IMO it makes more sense to offer a more fuel efficient turbo option for those that want the power. Personally, in an OB I'd rather have torque than top end, so I think the 3.6 is a better fit for those that want it. But CAFE is probably pushing the change more than anything.

Time will tell. They'l probably release it early next year, so it's not too far off.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Considering the fact that Americans are finally getting engine savvy I'd say that this is the last hurrah for the 3.6. Look at the take rate for the Ecoboost V6 equipped F150's. The MOAR POWER crowd is seeing the folly of their ways and are choosing the smart option rather than the large option.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Nickshu, I hope you're right. IMO it makes more sense to offer a more fuel efficient turbo option for those that want the power. Personally, in an OB I'd rather have torque than top end, so I think the 3.6 is a better fit for those that want it. But CAFE is probably pushing the change more than anything.

Time will tell. They'l probably release it early next year, so it's not too far off.
Except, many of the turbo charged 4 bangers in use today are not getting anywhere near the fuel mileage the EPA and car marker say they are.

Consumer Reports finds small turbo engines don't deliver on fuel economy claims

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Except, many of the turbo charged 4 bangers in use today are not getting anywhere near the fuel mileage the EPA and car marker say they are.

Consumer Reports finds small turbo engines don't deliver on fuel economy claims
Interesting article.

It seems manufacturers are cutting displacement too much and losing the benefits of the Turbo. It's interesting to see BMW's 2.0L is doing well. Hopefully Subaru's long history of Turbo engines and the torque provided from a boxer engine will help.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,438 Posts
Protecting the engine from lean burn damage is a lot of the problem. Pretty much any change in throttle position is going to be followed by a momentary enrichment trim to keep the thing from eating itself. This is why turbos have usually burnt more fuel or died young in the past.

Modern engine management has made it easier to give just enough enrichment to stay safe without risk, so there is less waste. But the real problem is that enrichment is still required on throttle changes period.

The real answer to making a small turbo deliver on fuel economy is to make it less responsive. Lock it off at a given power setting. That isn't too hard to do for a CAFE test run, but that is hopelessly incompatible with driving in normal traffic. A third-generation adaptive cruise control would help a lot, but I don't think we will see those for a while.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Considering the fact that Americans are finally getting engine savvy I'd say that this is the last hurrah for the 3.6. Look at the take rate for the Ecoboost V6 equipped F150's. The MOAR POWER crowd is seeing the folly of their ways and are choosing the smart option rather than the large option.
The smart option? Really? We don't have a smart option very often in the US. That'd be medium sized turbo-diesels. The real question is - how many of those customers would purchase the v6 option anyway? Turbo or not?

My 3.6r is getting the same mileage that vr4Legacy posts in his Fuely profile (and that's riding around in town). And I have a jack-rabbit-get-off-the-line-crazy fast right foot. Ride on the highway and I'm seeing 28 and 29MPG. From a 3.6.

Not everyone fits one single mold. Thankfully, at least Ford is still offering the 5.0L (or is it 5.4L?) and even a 6.2L V8 option in the 150. That 6.2 is stout. But the real power comes from the 6.4L diesel offered in the F250+.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts