Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a engine swap and the donor car was supposed to have a 2.5 engine it turns out that it is actually a 2.2 so i tried to bolt the 2.2 engine up to the 2.5 trans and found out they are incompatable my question is if i go and take the trans out of the other vehicle and put it in the " good " vehicle will I have issues with a engine or transmission control module compatibilty ?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
they will probably bolt up to each other ,

BUT it would really help if we knew what year, model, trans car we are talking about.??
and what year, model, trans ej22 we are talking about?

need more info. details for each car, donor and recipient.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Verify the differential ratios... I'd think you'd be ok with that, just make sure you don't also need the rear diff from the donor to make it match.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
they are both 1997 outback legacy,automatic awd cars
if this is true, the ej22 is a swap, not original.

and the ej22 will bolt in to your 97 outback and run just fine. no need to swap the trans and no need to swap the computer. but depending on the year of the engine, 96 - 98, you will need the exhaust y-pipe that matches the ej22. it has single port exhaust heads. the ej25 has dual port.

you will also need to swap the flex plate from the ej25 auto trans on to the ej22 engine.

what makes you think it does not fit??????

your ej25 also has EGR and the ej22 may not unless it came from an auto trans car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i went to bolt up the 2.2 to the trans that was originally bolted to the 2.5 i fought with it for over a hour to try to bolt em up. I could not get bell housing bolts even remotely close, today I pulled both transmissions and installed the trans in the good car then bolted the engine up within 10 min there was a adapter harness on the trans i unpluged it and it pluged directly into the body harness so im hopeing everything will work properly with out scewing around with control modules the other two minor details I ran into was I had to chage the ps pump because the pressure lines bolted up differently,also the a/c compressor need to be switced because the hose ports were differet sizes. Hopefully tomarrow this car will be running i will keep ya posted thanks for your time !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are correct as to its was not original ,on the other vehical the emission sticker says it was supposed to be a 2.5 provideing the hood was never changed

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
the 2.5L tranny flex plate is larger than the 2.2L

i swapped my OBW auto. still have the stock OB and torque convertor but had to swap the larger flex plate to the 2.2L and it went in like butter. could this be what you ran into? IIRC just about all the trannys are interchangeable as far as bellhousing mating is concerned. it just comes down to difference in torque convertor/flex plate size.

can it be assumed that the tranny from your donor car had the smaller torque convertor installed to match the 2.2L flex plate? or did your torque convertor slide out a bit when removing the 2.5L? they can feel installed correctly and have one more click to go.

i realize you got it figured out but no "fix" seemed to be posted and i always brag about how interchangeable subarus are. just tryin to make a little sense of it. thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts