Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'99 OUTBACK AT Green
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was out on a offroad trip the other week We went down onto tjhe beech(had a mad time) but when coming out up a quite steep boggy, sandy hill auto selected to 1 power button selected foot down I noticed that the engine revs atrted to drop off as the wheels were spinning
I think that the AWD sensing may have reduced the enigne revs to compensate for slippage
I believe that the OB usually runs as front wheel drive and AWD system selects rear wheel if there is any slip
As forward momentum is a prority when in soft sand this causes a problem
Can you bypass these sensors?
I know that there is a company that provides bypass switch to lock in the rear wheels permantly, but havnt discussed this with them yet

ANY IDEAS?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I've never had problems on sand with mine (98 5MT) but then, I haven't tried to climb a sandy hill.

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Aren't all newer Subarus AWD....As per my siggi

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5l Auto white on silver
14 Posts
chrisx said:
Pretty sure that's right chrisx. Not sure about power transfer in the situation described in the first post though???

Over Christmas I took our Outback (2.5l Auto) up a reasonably sand hill without any problems at all. (Not a sand dune/beach scenario though.) In fact I did it a few times as it was so much fun! Tried it in reverse too, which was not such a good idea!

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
chrisx said:
That's true, but to different degrees depending on the transmission & engine type. For Outbacks (non turbo) 4cyl MT are 50:50 (F:R) always, 4cyl Auto 90:10 normally.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5l Auto white on silver
14 Posts
Jondalar said:
That's true, but to different degrees depending on the transmission & engine type. For Outbacks (non turbo) 4cyl MT are 50:50 (F:R) always, 4cyl Auto 90:10 normally.
Really, I wasn't aware of that. :rolleyes: That certainly explains a few on road wet weather handling characteristics then. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts