Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Limited EJ253 Red/pewter
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped out my '02 Outback Limited 2.5 and ran into a problem getting the new engine to mate back up to the trany.

I've swapped out other makes of engines before, but nevertheless viewed all of the YouTube videos I could find concerning engine swaps for this model. Although I could only find one video where they explained to leave the torque converter in place, which I did, but when I bolted the new engine up to the trany and tried to turn the crankshaft to line up the holes that attach motor to the torque converter the crank wouldn't budge.

I couldn't figure out why the torque converter would not turn anymore.
The only thing I could figure was to unbolt the engine, then pull the torque converter out far enough until it would turn, so I could turn the converter and screw in the bolts.

BIG mistake, because it took a lot of effort to bolt the trany to the engine, which was obviously misaligned now, and in doing so I screwed up my main input shaft and was told that I probably screwed up the trany forcing it together like that, so with 112,000 miles on the car I figured it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a whole new drive-train anyhow, left the converter out, dropped the engine in place and paid my transmission guy 2 grand for a rebuild and install.

My pride hurt worse than the extra 2 grand I had to spend, so does anyone have any insight as to what I may have done wrong, besides the obvious latter part of what I tried?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,473 Posts
You didn't have the torque converter seated all the way in the transmission when you mated the engine to the trans which caused a bind and wouldn't allow the torque converter to turn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts