Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback. 2.5 automatic trans.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a great running 2001 Outback, body is par for the coarse living its whole life up here in the "rust belt" (western ny). I have found a great shape body 2002 Outback limited, loaded with all the bells and [email protected] for what I think is CHEAP, it however in the add states " needs motor"!
My question then becomes, is it worth the effort of me swapping engines?
I've never changed a Subaru engine before, but have changed a NUMBER of other auto engines.
I guess I'm asking is this a fairly straight forward engine swap or shall I just pass it up?
I have all the hand tools needed to do the job, and mechanical experiance, but it would be done outside under a tripod with a chain fall!! Unless there is a better way!
I thought I would ask you my Subaru Smart Friends here on this great [email protected]

Thank you,
Mike

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,407 Posts
If you've swapped motors before I can't think of anything out of the ordinary.

I think you'll have to remove the radiator. Leave the A/C system plugged up and just move it out of the way.

After that I would salvage as much as you can off the ruster for the one with the good body.

Sensors, fenders, mirrors, exhaust, etc

·
Registered
411 Posts
My daughter has a great running 2001 Outback, body is par for the coarse living its whole life up here in the "rust belt" (western ny). I have found a great shape body 2002 Outback limited, loaded with all the bells and [email protected] for what I think is CHEAP, it however in the add states " needs motor"!
My question then becomes, is it worth the effort of me swapping engines?
I've never changed a Subaru engine before, but have changed a NUMBER of other auto engines.
I guess I'm asking is this a fairly straight forward engine swap or shall I just pass it up?
I have all the hand tools needed to do the job, and mechanical experiance, but it would be done outside under a tripod with a chain fall!! Unless there is a better way!
I thought I would ask you my Subaru Smart Friends here on this great [email protected]

Thank you,
Mike
It's easy enough. Just drape the ac compressor over to the side(leave lines attached) and do the same with the power steering on the other side.

While you're taking it out just take care of any leaks. And update the separator plate while it's out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
from what I have read multiple times; ...try not to let the torque converter slip forward. Can be tricky to get it aligned - never force it with the bolts to mate the final 1/4"

·
Registered
411 Posts
from what I have read multiple times; ...try not to let the torque converter slip forward. Can be tricky to get it aligned - never force it with the bolts to mate the final 1/4"
Yes. Always rotate it and push in gently to make sure it's in all the way before dropping engine back in.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
good swap,

don't let a 2002 limited that is unrusted slip away.

that 2001 engine can go into any 2000-2002 leg or leg outback, drag and drop. (no changes in major or minor parts, no ECU problems).

2003-2004 have EGR. and the 2001 don't,

______

if the 2 cars are not both auto or manual: you may have some pulleys to swap but other then that all is well.

____

you can then save the old 2001 as a parts car, or pick all the good things off it and toss the rusted carcass so no one needs look at it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!!
That's the general rule of thumb when an auto trans is in the mix!
If that last detent of the converter (front pump on most)
Isn't aligned problems WILL occur for sure!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, I remember, back in the day late '80', early '90's somepeople boasted 2 men with a strap around a 4x4 hooked to the engine could lift a suby engine out! Is this so??

Any and ALL tips, trials and tribulations you all have experianced are GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just take your time. Keep track of all your nuts and bolts. It really is easy. If using a lift it could be out in less then 2 hours. In my driveway it was a little longer. Lol
Now, I remember, back in the day late '80', early '90's somepeople boasted 2 men with a strap around a 4x4 hooked to the engine could lift a suby engine out! Is this so??

Any and ALL tips, trials and tribulations you all have experianced are GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts

80s subarus only had 1800cc engines in them, and that size persisted in the US into the early impreza,
...a little bigger then a air cooled vw beetle engine. (the classic thing to muscle)

_______

as a rule of thumb these things weigh in about 250- 320 lbs. (EJ251, EZ30)
more or less depending upon how much is on them.

so a engine crane saves everyone involved from loosing a toe or popping disc or 3 in their back.:surprise:

typically here it is suggested to get a nice crane from harbor freight, with a stand, use them until you are 100% done, and then off load them on craigslist etc. (vs. paying a rental company, and then in a rush to stop paying the rental company....). ...edit: unsure if parts stores have them for fee/ cheap use.

Reactions: madmikesmech

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,256 Posts
And update the separator plate while it's out.

Guess I have to ask, since I've never seen the part and no one has described it:

What's a "separator plate"?

And what is the "update" of it?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts
Guess I have to ask, since I've never seen the part and no one has described it:

oll separator plate:

EJ25D had them in plastic, and such may have existed on early EJ251/252 into 2001 ?

my 2002 car assembled in novmeber 2001 has a proper metal one though.

and if such engines are ever out of the car. people should look for a plastic oil separator. = if and when it lets go, it will leak like a stuck pig.

(plenty threads)

Reactions: madmikesmech

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,256 Posts
OK. What Subaruonlineparts lists as a Baffle Plate, and what is termed in racing as a windage tray.

Will have to check which version my '01 has sometime.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,407 Posts
80s subarus only had 1800cc engines in them, and that size persisted in the US into the early impreza,
...a little bigger then a air cooled vw beetle engine. (the classic thing to muscle)

typically here it is suggested to get a nice crane from harbor freight, with a stand, use them until you are 100% done, and then off load them on craigslist etc. (vs. paying a rental company, and then in a rush to stop paying the rental company....). ...edit: unsure if parts stores have them for fee/ cheap use.
You can remove a 2.5 engine from an Impreza Outback with two guys/board/chain. We removed the heads on it though.

[ame]https://youtu.be/n1AJ2NYU-HM?t=167[/ame]

I don't know if you could actually reinstall using that method though. It would be a lot more difficult than pulling it because you would have to line it up and have a third person installing the bolts. I recommend a cherry picker as EagleEye suggested.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
I don't think it's a proper windage tray - it has something to do with the oil return to the crankcase/crankcase vapor clearing.

(I may be wrong so, willing to learn)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
From that vid, it definitely is not a baffle plate or a windage tray. Supposedly it's function is to separate oil out of vapor in the PCV system.

Won't be looking at that on the '01 any time soon!

·
Registered
411 Posts

The original is plastic with counter sunk screws. The updated plate is metal with Allen head bolts. You will probably need an impact driver to get the old screws out with a p3 Phillip's head.

Then just clean surface and I use ultra grey rtv on it. There is one bolt hole that had an arrow. That hole uses the black screw with thread locker on it......I believe all the screws are the same. They just made one black with threadlocker so it's easy to tell the difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts