Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 subaru outback 2.5 l
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum, also new subaru owner (well the subaru's not new it's 2001). The outback I bought has 90,000 miles, very clean and well maintained, the dealership I bought it from performed a lot of maintenance before i bought it (timing belts, plugs,wires,luricants,etc). What they didnt do is head gaskets, because they are not leaking. My question is this, is there anything that can be done to help prevent them from leaking (hot retorque or something).

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
Yes have the coolant flushed with proper subaru coolant and then have the Subaru specfic coolant conditioner added. MUST BE SUBARU BRANDED conditioner!!!!

Outside of that it the HG was replaced the Driver side HG is the one that had issue many were replaced by subaru at no cost to the owners years ago. When done correctly this should not be an issue. Most important thing is to make sure the timing Belt is replaced at 105,000 miles or 105 months which ever comes first. And to avoid running the car hot!!! Make sure all the cooling system equipment is in good condition and the car will be trouble free.

My 2001 had the HG done by Subaru at 65K very very minor leak driver side HG. I was putting about 20 oz of coolant in it about once a month when Subaru replaced the HG.
At 180,000 miles the engine was in perfect shape zero issues ran fantastic when I sold it for a new 2010 Gen4

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
I has wagons.
12,299 Posts
Thread moved to correct forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts