Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5I non Turbo
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have looked around and can't seem to find these. I have an 07 with a 2.5, I has new plugs in it but I found out the gap was checked before they were installed and I want to pull them out re gap and re install.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
I dunno what to tell you but, you might read here;

A Note About Proper Spark Plug Choice - NASIOC

Take the 2005 2.5RS. The manual calls for a 0.039" to 0.043" spark gap. The manual also specifies an NGK FR5AP-11. Now, there's a problem with that. The NGK FR5AP-11 is supposedly pre-gapped with the correct gap. However, NGK gaps the FR5AP-11 with an 0.044" spark gap! Considering that it starts out of spec and wear on the plug only makes it worse, this explains why all the spark plug manufacturers are recommending a different plug. It also explains why we've had to fix the gap on every set of "pre-gapped" plugs we've ever bought. NGK's recommendation, by the way, is for a plug pre-gapped to 0.041". This starts the plug out in the center of the tolerance and allows some room for it to burn wider over time.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I have a sticker under my hood saying what my spark plug gap should be. 05 XT. You probably have one two. My owner's manual also has this info, including the exact plug to buy. The pre-gap was way off, and I had to CAREFULLY regap.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5I non Turbo
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked under the hood and there is no sticker. I also checked the owners manual, it gives a plug but no info on the gap.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
typically the plugs come pre-gapped. and i have never found one out of the box that was not right. but that does not mean they should not be double checked. just don't damage them with the gauge.

and in my experience the gap for all subaru plugs, 90 - 04 at least, has been .040. (.039 to .043) .

hth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts