Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback. 2.5L
12 Posts
First thing to do...seriously...GET A WORKING THERMOSTAT. I (admit) didn't read ALL the posts...sorry...but I never saw in ANY of them that you replaced the thermostat with a FUNCTIONAL thermostat that is working correctly. You said you found your existing thermostat is NOT working - was stuck 'closed' I believe...then you removed it...and nothing has changed. Funny as it may seem, you need a working accurate thermostat.

I could care less how fast you want to go, everyone online (in the internet world) always seems to want to tell everyone else how they should drive (or in extreme cases LIVE).

Get your thermostat replaced. If you still have issues more than likely your radiator cannot handle the extra heat you are generating (for prolonged periods of time). If AFTER replacing your thermostat you still have this issue, I would then get a bigger radiator. Lastly, if that still does not solve your issue, you MAY need to look into a water pump (I do not know if there are upgrades to this out there though).

For reference for all the folks that feel a need to tell us all how we should live... I routinely drive mine up to 90. Living in Cali and driving to vegas at least a couple times a year...guess what...WE ALL SPEED.

Oh also, there was a couple comments about your water/radiator fluid ratio...just for crap and laughter - PURE water actually runs cooler than radiator fluid...it just tends to freeze and boil off...so there is that. Radiator fluid is NOT better at cooling it just doesn't boil and freeze as easy. AND it has cleaning properties that are usually desired.

;)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,372 Posts
PURE water actually runs cooler than radiator fluid
Only until the system temperature gets up to the boiling point. Since the coolant temperature in the Outback often gets over 212F anti-freeze would cool better above that point because it has a higher boiling point than water.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
974 Posts
Pke
First thing to do...seriously...GET A WORKING THERMOSTAT. I (admit) didn't read ALL the posts...sorry...but I never saw in ANY of them that you replaced the thermostat with a FUNCTIONAL thermostat that is working correctly. You said you found your existing thermostat is NOT working - was stuck 'closed' I believe...then you removed it...and nothing has changed. Funny as it may seem, you need a working accurate thermostat.

I could care less how fast you want to go, everyone online (in the internet world) always seems to want to tell everyone else how they should drive (or in extreme cases LIVE).

Get your thermostat replaced. If you still have issues more than likely your radiator cannot handle the extra heat you are generating (for prolonged periods of time). If AFTER replacing your thermostat you still have this issue, I would then get a bigger radiator. Lastly, if that still does not solve your issue, you MAY need to look into a water pump (I do not know if there are upgrades to this out there though).

For reference for all the folks that feel a need to tell us all how we should live... I routinely drive mine up to 90. Living in Cali and driving to vegas at least a couple times a year...guess what...WE ALL SPEED.

Oh also, there was a couple comments about your water/radiator fluid ratio...just for crap and laughter - PURE water actually runs cooler than radiator fluid...it just tends to freeze and boil off...so there is that. Radiator fluid is NOT better at cooling it just doesn't boil and freeze as easy. AND it has cleaning properties that are usually desired.

;)
It is not helpful to reply without reading all the posts first.

The original poster was having the problem with an OEM thermostat installed and then removed it to see if it resolved the problem. They have since purchased a new OEM thermostat and installed it and the problem persists.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2015 Outback. 2.5L
12 Posts
bluemonstr said:
....If AFTER replacing your thermostat you still have this issue, I would then get a bigger radiator. Lastly, if that still does not solve your issue, you MAY need to look into a water pump (I do not know if there are upgrades to this out there though).

seagrass said:

It is not helpful to reply without reading all the posts first.
Sorry seagrass, your statement is VERY wrong. It CAN be helpful. I don't have to read all those previous posts to offer my ideas/thoughts. I just wanted to point out that I didn't actually read everything and that ONE of my thoughts/ideas MIGHT be helpful OR THEY might be repeats (which it sounds like the new thermostat was)...however, did anyone mention that MAYBE his waterpump is starting to fail? Or that his radiator just cannot handle the stress with the ambient heat? If you want to dismiss comments just becuase I didn't read 143 previous posts...then I won't TRY to contribute something that just might help. However - if AFTER there have been 143 previous posts and my extra one...doesn't help...what did it really hurt?

You see, I've been on forums like this all my adult life...since the early 90's. Guess what, repeats will ALWAYS come and go. It's not that big of a deal. There may be a new way of doing something, or funny this, something that someone new to THIS forum might bring from another platform and guess what...it works.

·
Registered
2015 Outback. 2.5L
12 Posts
... - PURE water actually runs cooler than radiator fluid...it just tends to freeze and boil off...so there is that. Radiator fluid is NOT better at cooling it just doesn't boil and freeze as easy. AND it has cleaning properties that are usually desired.

;)
Which is why I said the above (quotes). "...Radiator fluid is NOT better at cooling it just doesn't boil and freeze..."

Also - in a pressurized system the boiling point is actually a tad higher.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
974 Posts
Sorry seagrass, your statement is VERY wrong. It CAN be helpful. I don't have to read all those previous posts to offer my ideas/thoughts. I just wanted to point out that I didn't actually read everything and that ONE of my thoughts/ideas MIGHT be helpful OR THEY might be repeats (which it sounds like the new thermostat was)...however, did anyone mention that MAYBE his waterpump is starting to fail? Or that his radiator just cannot handle the stress with the ambient heat? If you want to dismiss comments just becuase I didn't read 143 previous posts...then I won't TRY to contribute something that just might help. However - if AFTER there have been 143 previous posts and my extra one...doesn't help...what did it really hurt?

You see, I've been on forums like this all my adult life...since the early 90's. Guess what, repeats will ALWAYS come and go. It's not that big of a deal. There may be a new way of doing something, or funny this, something that someone new to THIS forum might bring from another platform and guess what...it works.
Each to his own, hope it works out for you as your comments were not helpful to me.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
682 Posts
Back in my younger days I drag raced motorcycles at 140+ mph. I have no issues with speed as long as it's done at the appropriate place.
Back in my younger days I ran small block Chevys bored and stroked and big block Chevys from mild to wild so the proper place is when the other guy pulled up and revved his engine 😉
Speed doesn’t kill idiots do.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium with HK
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Update.
Thank you all guys for the suggestions you gave me , I learnt a lot of stuff here on this forum. I managed to solve the problem, it was the flippen radiator, I think it was clogged somehow or maybe it just failed I dont know but what I know is the radiator was not cooling enough as it should. Surprised because the car has less than 50k miles on the clock , wouldn't expect a radiator to just die with that mileage. Maybe the previous owner was using poor coolant no one knows. The car was running hot, even under normal driving I was getting temperatures around 104-106 degrees Celsius but now after changing the radiator ( I bought a Denso radiator on amazon for about $80, plus $60 shipping to Namibia) its just running cooler now around 88- 91 degrees. I tested it on the highway with high speeds about 160km/hr with outside temperature at 30 degrees and it never went pas 93 degrees. so it was the radiator after all. if anyone is experiencing such a problem , its most probably the radiator.(y)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,342 Posts
Update.
Thank you all guys for the suggestions you gave me , I learnt a lot of stuff here on this forum. I managed to solve the problem, it was the flippen radiator, I think it was clogged somehow or maybe it just failed I dont know but what I know is the radiator was not cooling enough as it should. Surprised because the car has less than 50k miles on the clock , wouldn't expect a radiator to just die with that mileage. Maybe the previous owner was using poor coolant no one knows. The car was running hot, even under normal driving I was getting temperatures around 104-106 degrees Celsius but now after changing the radiator ( I bought a Denso radiator on amazon for about $80, plus $60 shipping to Namibia) its just running cooler now around 88- 91 degrees. I tested it on the highway with high speeds about 160km/hr with outside temperature at 30 degrees and it never went pas 93 degrees. so it was the radiator after all. if anyone is experiencing such a problem , its most probably the radiator.(y)
Thanks for the update!

That does seem a short life for a radiator. But who knows?

141 - 150 of 150 Posts