Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mechanic was a little vague about it, but said it was a little loose. What had me calling them was my crank pulley separating and chewing into the timing cover, which I had feared may have made it jump time somehow, but he seems to think that that was a separate issue, although it certainly didn't help. My timing belt was replaced 60,000 miles ago, with a new tensioner thrown in too. He said that my timing was off 1 tooth on the drivers side and 2 or 3 on the passenger side cams. Being that I probably won't hear from him until Tuesday, what are the chances that being off 1 tooth or 2-3 teeth doing major damage? Thanks for your wisdom and expertise!~

2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5

·
Registered
3 2001 Outbacks, 2 AT, 1 MT. 1 2006 Outback AT, 2000 Outback AT, 2008 Outback Sport MT
93 Posts
Ours jumped 3 or 4 teeth a number of years ago due to a harsh shift in the auto transmission. The car wouldn't run after that. After retiming it, it started fine with no noticeable ill effects. To guard against that, the manual transmission motors have a special guide over the crank drive sprocket. I thought of putting one on, but never got around to it. If your mechanic is up front with you, you should be fine.

JP

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,631 Posts
The mechanic was a little vague about it, but said it was a little loose. What had me calling them was my crank pulley separating and chewing into the timing cover, which I had feared may have made it jump time somehow, but he seems to think that that was a separate issue, although it certainly didn't help. My timing belt was replaced 60,000 miles ago, with a new tensioner thrown in too. He said that my timing was off 1 tooth on the drivers side and 2 or 3 on the passenger side cams. Being that I probably won't hear from him until Tuesday, what are the chances that being off 1 tooth or 2-3 teeth doing major damage? Thanks for your wisdom and expertise!~

2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5
Its probably not the tensioner. He needs to take the tensioner off and measure the extension of the shaft. More likely the belt has stretched and the tensioner is maxed out. I see it a lot on the SOHC with the OEM belt on the first replacement. So loose it can be slid off without removing a pulley and the tensioner is fully extended.

Ours jumped 3 or 4 teeth a number of years ago due to a harsh shift in the auto transmission. The car wouldn't run after that. After retiming it, it started fine with no noticeable ill effects. To guard against that, the manual transmission motors have a special guide over the crank drive sprocket. I thought of putting one on, but never got around to it. If your mechanic is up front with you, you should be fine.

JP
I have one in my tool box if you want it. Just PM me an address.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

JP
You have no idea how much that comment was needed~ Congrats, and thanks for the hope~ The mechanic seems like a stand-up dude, but I can always get a 2nd opinion, since we're all human after all~ A pleasant Memorial Day weekend to you and yours~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eat a sausage for me. :29:
Ha~ Girlfriend's picking me up in a bit for our pre-camping shopping trip~ Brats will be on the menu~ It's kinda nice not doing the driving for a while, I guess~

Cheers and have a great Memorial / Remembrance Day~

And that's a serious ride you have there!~ Good stuff~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the mechanic says it runs fine, but that everything has to be replaced in the timing area (claims belt's shot, as well as the tensioner and idlers) with a price tag of over $500. I may take it somewhere else, as it seems he's going a little crazy there since the belt was last changed by the dealer 60,000 miles ago, but the good news is that it's running fine~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts