Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this in a earlier outback?I was working on a later impreza yesterday and looks like the intake and exhaust(if single port 2.2),egr plugged,ect would have to be changed.Anyone know of anything else that would have to be swapped?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
You asking about dropping in a phase 2 (2000+) SOHC 2.5?

It's probably do-able, but not worth it for a number of reasons. If you're gonna swap in a later motor, at least make it something worth swapping, like an EJ205 turbo (wrx motor) or a 6cyl mill like an EZ30 (found in 2001-4 Outbacks) or an EJ33 (SVX).

The no-runs, no drips, no errors swap for a first gen OB is a 2.2. Bulletproof and cheap and bolts right in. Search what Canubaru told you to. . . lots of documented swaps. . . I've done one myself. The EGR/no EGR issue I dodged by swapping the donor car's ECU which plugged right in. Car was a 98 Outback 5 speed, motor came from a 97 Impreza 5-speed. Transmission is largely irrelevant tho.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You asking about dropping in a phase 2 (2000+) SOHC 2.5?

It's probably do-able, but not worth it for a number of reasons. If you're gonna swap in a later motor, at least make it something worth swapping, like an EJ205 turbo (wrx motor) or a 6cyl mill like an EZ30 (found in 2001-4 Outbacks) or an EJ33 (SVX).

The no-runs, no drips, no errors swap for a first gen OB is a 2.2. Bulletproof and cheap and bolts right in. Search what Canubaru told you to. . . lots of documented swaps. . . I've done one myself. The EGR/no EGR issue I dodged by swapping the donor car's ECU which plugged right in. Car was a 98 Outback 5 speed, motor came from a 97 Impreza 5-speed. Transmission is largely irrelevant tho.

Really dont want a project.Car already has a 2.2 with 245k.Trying to find a low milage 2.2 is like trying to find the holy grail.EJ205 turbo swap,no thanks already did the turbo thing once with a DD,too unreliable,EZ30 more work than I want and alot harder to find,EJ33,No luck finding a feesible 96 0r 97 SVX.It needs to stay OBD2 due to the wonderful Pa Emmisions.What I really need to know if the 2000+ 2.5 SOHC cam and crank triggers are the same as a 2.2.Mounting locations are but that doesnt mean the trigger it self is the same.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Yep, it'll bolt up. Might even use the same Y-pipe. But that's pretty much where the fun stuff ends.

Phase 2 2.5's don't even have the same cam/crank trigger patterns along the 5-year span they were made. Somewhere around 2001 they went to a different pattern. . . ran into that little nuance firsthand when I dropped a 2002 motor into a 2001 car. All was well after swapping the cam/crank gears but you won't be that lucky.

Biggest hurdle you'll have is the phase 1 cars are mass air, phase 2 are speed density. . . so no MAF meter. Might be able to get away with running a hybridized intake and still use the various sensors and whatnot off your existing intake, but if yours has EGR, none of the phase 2 2.5's do so you're pretty much hosed there.

As I said, it CAN be done (you can even drop an LSx motor in a Subie if you're so inclined), but at a minimum you'll need to run a gen 2 ECU and either merge or completely swap the front body harness, dash harness, and crossdash harness.

I've swapped a 2.2 into a DOHC 2.5 car. Easy peasy, japanesy. Just finished swapping a EZ30 into a 2nd gen car that formerly was motivated by an EJ25. No way I'd consider dropping a phase 2 into first gen. Minimal gains in horsepower and reliabiliy for a substantial outlay of sweat equity.

Low mile 2.2's aren't that hard to come by. They ran them all the way up to 2001 in the Impreza, and as late as 99 in the regular Legacy platform. . . and they're pretty much bulletproof so unless you're starting to see ring/bearing failure, why swap?

Here's one I found on the Pittsburgh CL without a lot of searching (mileage isn't listed):

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon - Parting It Out

EZ30 more work than I want and alot harder to find
I've got an EZ30 for sale right now over in the classifieds for $500, complete with the entire front harnesses, ECU, and Y-pipe.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/438985-post1.html

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
swapping a 00 - 04 ej25, or ej22 in to a 95 - 99 legacy or outback is not worth the effort. you might could do it but there are better ways to spend your time and money.

but you can use the 00 - 04 short block and and your 96 - 99 heads /intake and install that in a 90s outback.

does that help? i'm not clear on what car you are working on.

as a matter of fact, some one suggested just this week that that is actually what the 99 outback is. a 00 - 04 phase 2 block (8 bell housing bolt holes) with 97 - 98 heads / intake.

and although i would never say swapping heads and head gaskets is easy, the actual head gasket part is small compared to the r&r of the engine. for me any way, i don't have a shop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, it'll bolt up. Might even use the same Y-pipe. But that's pretty much where the fun stuff ends.

Phase 2 2.5's don't even have the same cam/crank trigger patterns along the 5-year span they were made. Somewhere around 2001 they went to a different pattern. . . ran into that little nuance firsthand when I dropped a 2002 motor into a 2001 car. All was well after swapping the cam/crank gears but you won't be that lucky.

Biggest hurdle you'll have is the phase 1 cars are mass air, phase 2 are speed density. . . so no MAF meter. Might be able to get away with running a hybridized intake and still use the various sensors and whatnot off your existing intake, but if yours has EGR, none of the phase 2 2.5's do so you're pretty much hosed there.

As I said, it CAN be done (you can even drop an LSx motor in a Subie if you're so inclined), but at a minimum you'll need to run a gen 2 ECU and either merge or completely swap the front body harness, dash harness, and crossdash harness.

I've swapped a 2.2 into a DOHC 2.5 car. Easy peasy, japanesy. Just finished swapping a EZ30 into a 2nd gen car that formerly was motivated by an EJ25. No way I'd consider dropping a phase 2 into first gen. Minimal gains in horsepower and reliabiliy for a substantial outlay of sweat equity.

Low mile 2.2's aren't that hard to come by. They ran them all the way up to 2001 in the Impreza, and as late as 99 in the regular Legacy platform. . . and they're pretty much bulletproof so unless you're starting to see ring/bearing failure, why swap?

Here's one I found on the Pittsburgh CL without a lot of searching (mileage isn't listed):

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon - Parting It Out

I've got an EZ30 for sale right now over in the classifieds for $500, complete with the entire front harnesses, ECU, and Y-pipe.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/438985-post1.html

its a 96 Legacy outback 2.2 5spd so no EGR.Thanks thats what I needed to know about the crank and cam triggers.Sounds just like a Dodge Neon from 03-05 when they switched to NGC ECU and the crank trigger changed.Engine will bolt in but car wont run.So it can be done just with some more work than I want.That CL ad you posted had been on there for quite awhile so I didnt even bother with looking at it.Ill keep searching for a low mile 2.2.Thanks again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swapping a 00 - 04 ej25, or ej22 in to a 95 - 99 legacy or outback is not worth the effort. you might could do it but there are better ways to spend your time and money.

but you can use the 00 - 04 short block and and your 96 - 99 heads /intake and install that in a 90s outback.

does that help? i'm not clear on what car you are working on.

as a matter of fact, some one suggested just this week that that is actually what the 99 outback is. a 00 - 04 phase 2 block (8 bell housing bolt holes) with 97 - 98 heads / intake.

and although i would never say swapping heads and head gaskets is easy, the actual head gasket part is small compared to the r&r of the engine. for me any way, i don't have a shop.
Heads gaskets are not hard really on these cars.Ive done a few.I actually look forward to working on subaru's when they come in the shop as they are really easy to work on.So I bought one back in march.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
$250 142,000 miles auto EJ22 (plug the EGR lines) Pittsburgh 1-412-782-5580
$400 96 Impreza EJ22 MT 150,000 800-472-2830 Harmony, PA

you can buy one with EGR and just plug the lines up for your vehicle. i do that on my daily drivers as i don't want all that EGR stuff on there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$250 142,000 miles auto EJ22 (plug the EGR lines) Pittsburgh 1-412-782-5580
$400 96 Impreza EJ22 MT 150,000 800-472-2830 Harmony, PA

you can buy one with EGR and just plug the lines up for your vehicle. i do that on my daily drivers as i don't want all that EGR stuff on there.
Thanks ill look into those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Sgt Craig
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing