Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to change the front diff fluid on my 2.5cvt. I do not know which plug is the fill plug. I have only seen DIY on the 3.6 with the 5 speed. The front diff plugs are different.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The CVT front differential is very different. There are 2 drain plugs (One is actually a level plug, which has a tube inside the case that sets the level). You fill it through a fill tube on the passenger side of the vehicle, topside. The actual drain plug has "Diff Oil" stamped in the case next to it. It has a large torx drive hole in it. The level plug has a hex head on it for removal with a box wrench. It is 6" toward the driver's side of the car from the drain plug.

There is a slip fit plastic plug in the tube topside, and you leave the level plug out down below after you replace the drain plug, then fill it until it overflows from the level plug. Replace the level plug, and you are done.

Confused? You will likely figure it out, once you look at all the parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
T70 socket for the large drain plug.
Next to it is a small 10mm or 12mm plug (can't remember exactly the size) facing straight down.
Remove it, its the fill indicator.

Drain the oil and leave the small bolt out.
Always use new gaskets for both plugs.

The fill point is on the top of the diff - passenger side.
No dipstick.
There is a plug with a vent tube coming out of it, remove this.
Fill here, you will notice once full oil coming out of the small drain, it drains off the excess.
Re install small plug.
Done.
Have a beer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am looking to change out my front diff. Would either of you have pics of both front plugs + the fill tube?
Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 2013 2.5i with 6 MT and was wondering if I should change the front and rear diff fluid with my first oil change at 3750 miles. I know they recommend 30K but figure it may be wise to get clean fluid to get rid of any metal that may be present. Any opinions? I will have the dealer do it since it's under warranty. Don't want finger pointing if something happens down the road and I do need warranty work on the diffs.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Change at 3750 would be a waste of fluid and your money.
This is not a '37 Ford.
These are assembled in plants that look like an operating room.
Metalurgy and machining have come a long way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Change at 3750 would be a waste of fluid and your money.
This is not a '37 Ford.
These are assembled in plants that look like an operating room.
Metalurgy and machining have come a long way.

True but if the man wants to change it then at least he has the info to do it.
If it makes tou feel better then do it and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys, just did the rear diff, having a **** of a time finding the front diff fill tube. I found what I think is it but don't want to pour gear oil down a tube if I am not sure. The fitting is VERY small, not even sure how I would put oil in there. This is a 2014 with the 2.5 and CVT. Here are a couple pics. The first is after I pulled the plug off, the second is of the breather tube. Not even sure I am in the right spot. Any help would be much appreciated as I have everything out and ready right now..

I looked in the downloaded FSM and it seems to say to fill from a fill hole from underneath. I found what i thought they were talking about but am scared to pour gear oil into places unless i am 100 percent sure. Especially with the CVT right there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
xman111
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing