Subaru Outback Forums banner

2.5i Sputter starts in cold mornings

36K views 66 replies 35 participants last post by  wadechard3 
#1 ·
Anyone else have this issue where when it's cold outside in the morning, (basically anything below 32 degrees), and when you start the motor, it cranks great and then fires up but it gives a slight sputtering, hesitation feeling in the beginning 1 to 1 1/2 seconds of ignition, then it idles normally to warm up.

This only happens during morning starts, after that all other times that I start the car, throughout that same cold day, it's starts just fine........it doesn't and won't happen again till the next morning.......this never happened in the summer months.

Any thoughts?:8:

#6 ·
Mine does the same think (I think). Basically, when I crank the engine, it fires like its starting then immediately hesitates like its going to conk out (for lack of a better term), but then (usually) catches itself and starts idling fine. Every so often I release the key from crank a hair too early after that initial "fire" and it conks out, then I have to crank it for several seconds before it actually starts up fully. Never had a car do that before... (mine is not PZEV BTW)

#7 ·
jonwb said:
Mine does the same think (I think). Basically, when I crank the engine, it fires like its starting then immediately hesitates like its going to conk out (for lack of a better term), but then (usually) catches itself and starts idling fine.

Yeah, that's the same as mine. It starts up and hesitates, sorta like it misfires from lack of fuel or something for a split second and then smoothes out and idles up to warm up normally.

Every so often I release the key from crank a hair too early after that initial "fire" and it conks out, then I have to crank it for several seconds before it actually starts up fully. Never had a car do that before... (mine is not PZEV BTW)

This I haven't had happen, yet......hmm.......

#8 ·
Mine has been starting fine. Nothing with issues that you all have mentioned. I have about 1,300 miles on the car. Temps for the last 2 weeks have been below 25. The car is in a unheated garage (don't know if that matters since it's still cold in there). I have a PZEV vehicle as well.

#10 ·
Outback Virgin said:
Anyone else have this issue where when it's cold outside in the morning, (basically anything below 32 degrees), and when you start the motor, it cranks great and then fires up but it gives a slight sputtering, hesitation feeling in the beginning 1 to 1 1/2 seconds of ignition, then it idles normally to warm up.

This only happens during morning starts, after that all other times that I start the car, throughout that same cold day, it's starts just fine........it doesn't and won't happen again till the next morning.......this never happened in the summer months.

I actually talked to the service department about this the other day when I was in for an oil change.

They said it's perfectly normal for all PZEV vehicles (I would assume, then, that non-PZEV owners shouldn't experience it). My particular issue wasn't a sputtering, but rather that the cold engine would race at fairly high RPMs (about 2000) when first starting up.

They told me it has something to do with getting the catalytic converter warmed up, and that the car may actually go from high to low RPM cycles, even so far as to feel like it might stall. They also said I can break the cycle simply by pressing the accelerator for a moment. However, they recommended letting the car go through the cycle (which should take about 10 to 20 seconds, I think).

Unfortunately, I'm mechanically challenged, so I can't offer much more than that.

#11 ·
Re: Re: 2.5i Sputter starts in cold mornings

professor_t said:

I actually talked to the service department about this the other day when I was in for an oil change.

They said it's perfectly normal for all PZEV vehicles (I would assume, then, that non-PZEV owners shouldn't experience it). My particular issue wasn't a sputtering, but rather that the cold engine would race at fairly high RPMs (about 2000) when first starting up.

They told me it has something to do with getting the catalytic converter warmed up, and that the car may actually go from high to low RPM cycles, even so far as to feel like it might stall. They also said I can break the cycle simply by pressing the accelerator for a moment. However, they recommended letting the car go through the cycle (which should take about 10 to 20 seconds, I think).

Unfortunately, I'm mechanically challenged, so I can't offer much more than that.
I experience this as well, when the car is cold. It doesn't sounds like the same thing that folks are reporting here, though.

I don't like to let the car idle, so I usually just throw it in reverse (backing out of my driveway) and start off slowly. As soon as I shift into gear, the RPM's go from 2000ish to their more customary range.

#12 ·
Outback Virgin said:

I have the exact same thing happen when it is cold out. I have not been to the dealership to discuss it yet... I have a 2.5i NAVI...don't think it is PLEV

#13 ·
As I was leaving work today, I had a hard time getting her started. It would crank over, but no catch. I don't have PZEV. It was not hesitation or high revs either. Just wouldn't start for a few seconds. It was not that cold (compared to the weather that we have had this winter)...kinda worrisome.
1,200 miles.

#14 ·
I was just thinking about my old 2000 Chevy S-10 Pickup having hesitation issues but not during starting up but when I drove off without it being warmed up.

This was resolved by merely replacing the factory "platinum" plugs with copper ones and I was wondering if this is the same with my Outback's cold start hesitation problem since I do a lot of "short trip" driving?

The many "short trips" don't allow the platinum plugs to warm up to the proper temperature to prevent fouling hence the hesitation.

Does or would anyone know if the boxer motor have copper or platinum spark plugs installed from the factory?

#15 ·
I live in Chicago, and have been experiencing the same problem as people mentioned above. I have regular 2.5i Outback Premium.
This happens only during cold mornings 35F and below. It feels like you turn the car on the engine revs to upper range RPM and then sudden drop (feels like engine is chocking) and then goes back to normal RPMs. This all happens in less than 2 seconds.
I was thinking of contacting dealer to see if this is normal.

#16 ·
Our OB has the same hesitation just after you start the vehicle. I only notice this when it is colder outside and I have never had it die on me. I thought that it was maybe something to do with the fuel control program, and when it is cold outside it is using a different mapping to compensate. If anyone gets a solid answer that would be great!

#17 ·
This morning, mine just kept on cranking/sputtering and not catching at all. My girlfriend says that the exhaust was black as I kept cranking the engine.

Finally, I tapped the gas for a second while cranking and that got it going. It wasn't that cold outside... weird. I guess I'll contact the dealer about it. Mine's a PZEV, which I received 10 days ago.

JF

#18 ·
The vehicle has never not started for me, but it does do some weird hesitation when it's cold outside. I do not think that ours is the PZEV, but I could be wrong. I wonder if asking the dealership to flash the ECU with the newest version would make any difference.

#19 ·
Posted this on "Rocky Mountain Sigh" Thread:

Same issue here. I recently rented a brand new (4 miles) 2010 Outback CVT in Denver. We stayed at about 6000 feet and the car was outside with morning temps from 0-12 F. We had trouble starting the car every morning. I would turn the key and it would just sputter not able to start. The only way to get it to start was to give it some gas. Other than that we liked the car and are now contemplating purchasing one, just think maybe I should wait until the 2011's comes out so they can work out these bugs.

#21 ·
I asked my local Subaru Service people if they had heard anything about this problem of cold-morning starts for the 2010 2.5i (and we get plenty of opportunities for cold-morning starts here in Maine)

They said no.

They also said that they had not heard anything about the steering wheel shake, a 2010 problem that is far more widely reported here at subaruoutback.org. So, I'm not sure if they are covering their behinds or if they are simply unaware.

#22 ·
I would hope that the dealership isn't trying to blow you off. If they are like the dealership where we do business, they generally take any report very serious, regardless how benign the problem seems. The wife has never not had the vehicle start for her, so I guess that it isn't that much of a concern. Plus, we have the 7 year 100k warranty, so if anything does go wrong.....

#23 ·
I hadn't had this issue arise with mine until yesterday. The car had been parked for 2 days and it was about 20 degrees out. Cranked up just fine, idled about 1500-1600 rpm's for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, then dropped to around 500 rpms, sputtered and then shot up to 2000 for about 3 seconds before settling back in at 1500. I have to say I am really disappointed with this vehicle so far. I should have held out and found a 2009 XT.

Also, the exhaust system and a motor mount are both showing some significant amount of rust on them already. I'm taking it into the dealer to look at this tomorrow, but when I called and told them about I was told by the service manager that they had been seeing a lot of it, but until it rusts through, there's nothing that can be done.

#24 ·
Just want to let you know that you're all dreaming. ;)

Here's what my Subaru dealer wrote me to say:

"I have taken some time and spoke with my service manager, and we have had no repeated issue with cold weather starting or vibrations/steering wheel shakes in any of the new 2010 Outbacks. We have had some issues with the Tribeca 3.6R with relation to cold weather starting, however, Subaru has issued no concerns for us to address with current owners. Subaru does offer a battery warmer accessory, as well as an engine block heater to help remedy such issues depending on climate conditions where you live." :8:

#25 ·
vanstelp said:
I would hope that the dealership isn't trying to blow you off. If they are like the dealership where we do business, they generally take any report very serious, regardless how benign the problem seems. The wife has never not had the vehicle start for her, so I guess that it isn't that much of a concern. Plus, we have the 7 year 100k warranty, so if anything does go wrong.....
You shouldn't have to buy a warranty to handle this.

If my Subie starts falling apart at 40k miles, this is my first and last one.

#26 ·
wxray said:

You shouldn't have to buy a warranty to handle this.

If my Subie starts falling apart at 40k miles, this is my first and last one.
Well, I didn't say that I had to pay for the extra warranty. It all worked out that I was able to get the Gold Plan with 0$ deductible for FREE! Read my one of my earlier post on how that took place. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.