Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Tomorrow's the day. Assuming the pieces fall together I will be trading in for a new 2012 Outback. I have decided (95% sure) that I want to go with the CVT. This being the case, I am now trying to decide whether I might be able to save some money (the money I was going to save by getting the 6-speed) by going with the standard 2.5i over the Premium.

From what I can tell some of the primary add-ons with the Premium include:

- 6-Speaker audio with bluetooth, MP3, USB, etc. vs. 4-speaker without that stuff.

- 17 inch alloy versus 16 inch steel wheels

- Fog lights vs. no fog lights

- 10-way power seat vs. 6-way manual seat

- Auto up and down driver's window, etc.

Audio System - Now, I listen to a lot of audio books and random crap on the iPhone/iPod when we are on long road trips. I like the idea of simply being able to plug in my player without having to rig something up as I currently am. Are there any MP3 or aux inputs at all in the standard model? Are the bluetooth and audio jacks something that can be added to the standard for a reasonable fee?

Wheels - I don't know much about the difference in these wheels. I assume there is some performance advantage to the alloy, right?

Fog Lights - I admit, I think they look cool. But they are not necessary. : )

Power Seat - Here's a question: Are there two memory buttons for the driver's seat position? IF so, that might be nice. If not, we will still have to take the time to adjust the seats (one car for wife and I) so the power may be nice but not really a huge benefit.

Window - I think I can live without an auto up AND down driver's window.

Am I missing anything significant? Are there any other big differences worth considering? Again, I am talking about the 2012 Outback.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
I own a '12 Premium OB.
To address some of your points (although I am sure there are many others on the forum more informed than I)
6 speaker stereo: The stereo is so-so at best. many complaints on the forum about that, but I have not heard the 4 speaker in the base model. Couldn't be too much worse IMO. Bleu tooth works fairly well although I (and others) seem to have problems with name/voice recognition) I will say the BT audio quality is miles above the one I had in my '05 Prius.

Alloys vs Steel wheels: Alloys will be quite a bit lighter and just generally look better IMO. If you are planning to thrash your OB off road probably should consider the steelies...

Fog Lights: I like 'em. They put out tons more light than the Prius ones I had (which were basically useless). The OB foglights are fairly bright and do illuminate the road immediately in front of the vehicle...Glad I have 'em

10 way power seat: Love it, works great and the only way it could have been better IMO was with a memory button (Unfortunately, no memory button until 2013 model, and then only a single)......I definitely would not have been happy with a 6 way manual, which is what my wife has on her Accord. PITA

Auto up/down drivers window: Personally can take it or leave it but is nice to have.

Cannot address whether or not there are MP3 jacks in the base model but there are in the Premium.

This is my first Subaru and overall am very pleased with the vehicle on all fronts - price point (especially what you get for the $), MPG's, cargo capacity, towing capacity, CVT, etc. I am at the age where a few bells and whistles are nice but I like frugality as well which is why I purchased the Premium.
Good Luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am probably of the same mind as you, reading your post. I like to be frugal and basic - I won't spend money for a nav package or anything like that (I have had it in the past, just don't want to spend the money on it now). But I do like some of the little things like an MP3 jack, power seat, etc. We were spoiled with the TWO memory buttons on the Odyssey we are trading in.

I suppose what I need to do is pray that I will get a little more than expected for my van and get a little better price than expected on the Subi. : )

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
- 10-way power seat vs. 6-way manual seat
Does the 6-way manual seat have a height adjustment? If you
and the wife are of significantly different height, that could be
a "must-have."

- Auto up and down driver's window, etc.
Auto-down is kinda handy (especially if you don't have EZ-pass),
but I absolutely HATE the auto-up feature. It makes adjusting
the window to a finely tuned partially-open position a real P.I.A.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL! That is so freakin true! I borrowed my father-in-laws Audi TTs (or something like that) the other day when our car was in the shop and I just about blew a gasket trying to get the stupid driver's window where I wanted it. Sure, I am not used to it, and the whole cockpit was totally different for me, but man that was frustrating. LOL!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently bought the base model, and here are my findings:

I replaced the stock stereo with a $200 Alpine model with bluetooth, and replaced the four main speakers for $180. The Outback shipped with the cheapest speakers I've ever seen. I left the tweeters in the dash, because the angles seem impossible to get to without removing the front windshield. I'm still working on getting a steering wheel interface adapter with instructions for this year's model. The base model has an aux input in the center console, and the premium has both aux and USB inputs in the same location.

The alloy wheels won't rust, whereas steel wheels will over time. The drivers seat has a height adjustment, and the drivers window has one touch down, but not one touch up.

Overall, I'm happy that I went with the base model, and didn't pay for options I either don't need/want or got cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DOOM161, did you get the 2012 or the 2013? If the 2012, I am glad to hear about the height adjustment and the aux jack. Have you plugged an iPod or other into the AUX jack? Are you able to control the music through the stereo controls or do you need to use the MP3 player only?

·
Registered
65 Posts
DOOM161, did you get the 2012 or the 2013? If the 2012, I am glad to hear about the height adjustment and the aux jack. Have you plugged an iPod or other into the AUX jack? Are you able to control the music through the stereo controls or do you need to use the MP3 player only?
I have the 2012. Before I replaced the stereo I used the aux input for my iPod, and you have to control it on the iPod itself, since it uses the headphone output. It sounded tinny, but a lot of that was due to the speakers. I didn't know they made speakers that cheap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the 2012. Before I replaced the stereo I used the aux input for my iPod, and you have to control it on the iPod itself, since it uses the headphone output. It sounded tinny, but a lot of that was due to the speakers. I didn't know they made speakers that cheap.
LOL! Well, at least it works. We often listen to audiobooks on road trips and so the poor speakers might suffice until I can get something else installed.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
Does the 6-way manual seat have a height adjustment? If you
and the wife are of significantly different height, that could be
a "must-have."

You do realize that the power up/down window switch is a 2 postion switch? If you only press the switch halfway it acts like a standard power window switch. If you go past the halfway point (you will feel a slight click) then it is auto up/down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do realize that the power up/down window switch is a 2 postion switch? If you only press the switch halfway it acts like a standard power window switch. If you go past the halfway point (you will feel a slight click) then it is auto up/down.
Ya, I realize that. I was talking more about my experience with it was with a borrowed car and so I was not expecting it at first, and then was not used to how precise I had to be. Halfway of a few millimeters is not a lot of room, especially when you are already cramped and uncomfortable in a tiny sports car I have never been in. LOL! I'm sure I'd get the hang of it quick enough.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about the Limited do you regret not having? Frankly, for us right now, it's not a matter of not wanting to spend that much money, but literally not having that much money in the car budget. There are some nice features in there though.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
my first impression after looking at the car was to get a limited, wife said no. the subwoofer is built in, the dual zone is so much nicer, really hate battling with the wife over how hot/cold it is. i just got the wrong interior color, it was tan before, i got seatcovers and armrest cover to dial it down, plus neoprene so much more durable. putting in a backup camera was such a pain too. the base model was almost 24k, a limited was 27k. but if you choose between base and premium get premium. steering wheel audio controls and auto up/down are well worth the extra money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just don't think I can pull off a Limited. I will miss the rear view camera, and I will probably install one myself sooner rather than later. We put seat covers on anyways, so the cloth doesn't bother me. With a couple of little girls, if I want those seats to last long I have to. LOL! I know what you mean about the interiors. We are choosing our exterior color based largely on which ones offer the darker interior. Just a personal thing, but I do't care for the tan interiors.

Well, I will have to wait and see how it all unfolds. If I can get what I need for the trade-in, get a good rate for the balance, I will hopefully be able to afford a 2012 Premium. I think that is probably what I should be shooting for at this point.

[edit] That said, I will be looking at everything they have, so who knows what will happen. Maybe I will get lucky! I should be able to get below invoice easy enough, so we'll see.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
You do realize that the power up/down window switch is a 2 postion switch?
Yeah, I know that -- but it's still a stupid design.

..."It's dumb, I hate it!" he said, diplomatically,

Looby

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I went from a base model Forester to a Premium OB, and I have to say it was WELL worth it. I did consider the Limited, but then again I wasn't really stoked on leather and wood trim, and could care less about nab and didn't want to shell out the extra $$ for the HK stereo. Sometimes I wish I had leather, but overall I am VERY pleased with my premium over the base model. My premium has moonroof, bluetooth, USB, power everything (except the passenger seat) heated seats, heated mirrors, heated wipers/windshield, backup camera, homelink, arch moldings and mud guards, rear bumper step cover, etc., For the money the Premuim is an awesome value in my opinion, but if you have money to burn and can afford it go with the Limited. If you are deciding between the Premium and base model but can afford the Premium go with the Premium. After driving a base model for the last 6 years, the change to the Premium feels like luxury to me!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went from a base model Forester to a Premium OB, and I have to say it was WELL worth it.
Sounds like a great Outback! I am really going to try for the Premium. I don't think I will be able to get the extras, but it will come with the All-Weather package, as they pretty much all do here in Colorado. We'll see. Time to stop thinking about it and get some sleep. : )

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
If nothing else, the tinted windows on the Premium were worth it for me. No having to deal with aftermarket tints. On my 3.6 the main difference between the base and premium came down to power seats which I wanted--even if they don't have a memory.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also, the base seats lack lumbar support. If you do a lot of driving, the premium will be much more comfortable

1 - 20 of 31 Posts