Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this board and to Subaru in general. I have been doing quite a bit of comparison shopping and the Outback seems to be my best option for space and utility vs other small SUV/crossover vehicles.

I think I am set on going with the 2013 Outback but I'm not sure if I should go with the 2.5 or the 3.6. I live in Wisconsin so there is plenty of bad weather to get through and places to get off road but I also know that most people go with the 2.5 and do great. How much would I gain in performance/utility by going with the 3.6 vs the 2.5?

Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Search. Also, if you want a 6MT, then 2.5 is what you have to go with.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It would be up to the individual. I have found that Subaru has kept the 3.6R engine pretty much the same for a long time. You also cannot get a CVT transmission in it "yet". The 2.5 is definitley not a hot rod. If you are used to multi-valve V-6 vehicles and dont think you could deal without a vehicle that could chirp the tires then the 2.5 may not work for you. The 3.6R is really strong and acccellerates strong. I went with the 2.5i as it now has the FB engine and the better CVT. You will get over 20% better mpg with the 2.5i as well. In my opinion the car's balance and design was based around the 2.5i so you may find that the 3.6R rides different. I would suggest you drive them both. Given that the engine/transmission on the 3.6 has not changed from 2012 to 2013 I would try and find a 2012 3.6R rather than spend extra for the larger foglamps. I went with a 2013 as there are quite a few changes on the 2013 from the 2012 for our 2.5i. One more thing if you plan to tow trailers up hills and go over 1500 lbs dry i would go with the 3.6R. I plan to tow a small pop up camper with my 2.5i, but I am looking at dry weight campers under 1300 lbs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the other posts on this. Didn't mean to be redundant...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Sylter
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing