Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit a nasty pothole driving on a foggy road at night. Hit it hard enough to get damage to the tire sidewall, meriting replacement. After the dealer (incredible, super reliable, honest dealer Prestige Subaru in Asheville NC) balanced and aligned it, there's still a wobble. They believe that I have two (2!) bent wheels on the passenger side.

What would YOU do? Try to have them repaired somewhere (if I can even find somewhere to do it), buy some resale ones off eBay (scary, could be worse than the ones I have), or just get them from the dealer. OR maybe order them from one of the dealers that does high volume of online sales with smaller margins.

Would love some input/thoughts.

(And for the trolls: I did lots of searching and didn't find any good answers to my question so if you're feeling snarky, maybe just politely post a link to where you think the answer lies.)

Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
just get 2 rims that match the good ones you have at a local junk yard / pick and pull,

I mean Asheville had lots of subaru lovers there.

and you might need 4 new tires may have major damage to the tires. (enough of a pot hole to damage a rim = enough to damage a tire).

________

alternatively you may have internal problems to the tires causing the issue.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,375 Posts
Check craigslist or local tire/wheel recyclers. Your tire shop guys may be able to unofficially recommend a local wheel recycler.

For repairs, I have used Wheels America for a different car. They do good work but may not have one near you (and in my experience, shipping wheels around is almost always a loser)

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just get 2 rims that match the good ones you have at a local junk yard / pick and pull,

I mean Asheville had lots of subaru lovers there.

and you might need 4 new tires may have major damage to the tires. (enough of a pot hole to damage a rim = enough to damage a tire).

________

alternatively you may have internal problems to the tires causing the issue.
Good call on the junk yard. I'll see if there are any left that haven't been converted to concert venues and beer gardens!

And you're right about the tires. Had 35K on some Continental TrueContacts that I'm very pleased with... so I got 4 more of those. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TrueContact&partnum=26HR7TRUEC

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnetite Gray
233 Posts
Craigslist or eBay. Assuming you have the 17" wheels, should be able to get them for around $100 each. I just picked up a set of new take-off 15+ 17" wheels for $300 on my local craigslist.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
did you make an insurance claim?

opportunity to personalize the car with aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you make an insurance claim?

opportunity to personalize the car with aftermarket rims.
I thought about the insurance claim. New tires, 2 new rims, alignment, balance, a broken muffler hanger... ugh. Concerned about how much our insurance is going to go up with a claim like that... and of course our crappy (State Farm) insurance is never willing to give any advice on what the long-term implications might be for making such a claim.

Have any experience with claims like this? How did it go? Insurance go up much?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
I destroyed 2 aftermarket rims sliding into a curb on white ice I (stupidly) thought was snow. It was a big claim that involved suspension parts too. If it had been limited to only the rims, maybe I would have considered not claiming it?

Replacement rims were unavailable so, I got the 'value' of 2 new stock rims. I applied that money to 4 matching rims (got a GREAT price on a set of clearance Enkei rims, one in less than pristine condition as it was a display unit, from Discount Tire. I needed them for the collision shop in a hurry and DT really helped me out of a jam).

I guess it depends a lot on your deductible and what kind of history you have with your insurance company.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
I thought about the insurance claim. New tires, 2 new rims, alignment, balance, a broken muffler hanger... ugh. Concerned about how much our insurance is going to go up with a claim like that... and of course our crappy (State Farm) insurance is never willing to give any advice on what the long-term implications might be for making such a claim.

Have any experience with claims like this? How did it go? Insurance go up much?
your tires were spent already. how much are 4 tires with 35,000 on them used...=$100 ?

so its not like you got $600 brand new ones on it to make a claim against.

_____

and if you don't like state farm's attitude ....swap them to a company that likes to pay.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your tires were spent already. how much are 4 tires with 35,000 on them used...=$100 ?

so its not like you got $600 brand new ones on it to make a claim against.

_____

and if you don't like state farm's attitude ....swap them to a company that likes to pay.
Great points, all around. Even with the cost of the 2 wheels ($765 installed) it'd be better if they thought we were flawless drivers ;)

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
You might also check into filing a claim against the municipality that is responsible for fixing that pot hole.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,020 Posts
I had 3 wheels straightened on my TDI sportwagon thanks to SC's poor roads. Long story short the tire dealer I use couldn't believe it didn't bust the tires! It knocked the castor out to the max adjustment. Luckily it didn't damage the suspension!

I had the wheels straightened by a company out of Greenville,SC.(they are mobile and came to my shop in Ga.) Was reasonable and the wheels were true enough...but never as good as when new. I went on to put another 25,000 miles on the tires.

South Carolina did pay for the repairs! Took around 8 months to get them to pay. Didn't think they would pay for 3 new wheels. There were several cars on the side of the road with flat tires than hit the open seam on the bridge I hit! Can't understand why the highway dept didn't put up a warning!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
first make sure it's the rims. did the tire installer indicate any issues balancing them? rotate the two impacted ones to the back and see if the issue changes/moves?

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and get two matching wheels.

easy, cheap, and they should come with a warranty in the case you think there's any chance of them being bad which is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
first make sure it's the rims. did the tire installer indicate any issues balancing them? rotate the two impacted ones to the back and see if the issue changes/moves?
I decided to go for a second opinion to a local highly rated Discount Tire. I saw the wheels+tires on the balance machine myself. Shame on the dealer! There are three perfectly fine wheels and one that might as well be square. You cant see it from the front of the rim AT ALL. Plus the dealer wanted about $120 in labor to re-mount the new Tire Rack Contis I got once the wheels came in. Dealer wanted me to authorize $765 for two new wheels plus installation. Baloney! I can get a brand new wheel for 200-something and Discount Tire will charge me $16 to mount it.

No luck on the junk yards (so far). Going to find a good/reputable Subie OEM parts resource that has low margins on shipped parts.

I'm familiar with:

https://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com

https://www.subarupartsdepot.com

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, this was the winner! Here's my final post and where everything settled.

Used Car-Part.com to find out that there's a great local car recycling center near me - Used OEM Auto Parts & Salvage Yards Asheville Western NC - they were incredible! Had a clear inventory of everything and even picked the part before I showed up. $107 out the door including tax. They even put it on a balance machine without the tire to show me how it is in spec and visibly round.

Went back to Discount Tire to have it mounted and they wouldn't let me pay them a dime! They just asked that I get my tires from them next time -- which I absolutely will. They even match Tire Rack if the prices are higher.

Tested it out at various speeds on some freshly repaved roads and it's perfect.

Went back to the dealer to see if they still had my old tires (they did). Going to mount one of the old ones on the bent wheel I took off and toss it in the basement. Who knows? One day might come in handy and be a better option that a donut.

$107 total vs. the $765 the dealer wanted me to sign for. Pretty happy with how this turned out.

Thanks for your help everyone. This community is such a great resource.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts