Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife & I both have 2013 OBs bought 3 months apart with comparable mileage (70k-ish now). We use the same service intervals, fuel & general hwy/city driving patterns with the same # of occupants). I've put some thought into this...
Hers (2.5 Premium):
* Great throttle response, both from the start and while accelerating "on the road"
* 26-30 MPG average while NOT being a conscientious driver (one pedal to the floor most of the time; think Danika Patrick)
Mine (2.5 Limited):
* Sluggish. Tried giving it a little pedal, tried mashing, and everything in between. Still sluggish.
* 20-24 MPG average while driving like grandpa (careful acceleration, coasting to stops)
Yes, I've taken it to the dealer(s) several times; of course it's working as intended with nothing found. And yes, I've tried driving mine like a bat out of **** for a month to see if the CVT would "learn" my driving style...no dice.
MY QUESTION IS...
Is there an adjustment I can make to deal with this? It literally feels like my e-brake is on sometimes (no...I've checked brake rub/release on all brakes).
~Napcop

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
786 Posts
My thought is that you should try swapping vehicles for a couple of weeks to see what happens. The transmissions do "learn" your driving style and they will "re-learn" with a different driver driving the vehicle.

Another thing to do would be to treat your vehicle with Subaru's "upper engine cleaner" (once or maybe twice if never done previously) as this does help to clear out residual contaminants in the inlet manifold and upper cylinder area (which in my experience are more common in a gently driven vehicle)

Seagrass

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,136 Posts
tire construction could make a little difference.

same roof rack/crossbar conditions?

do you have more passengers? or tools/gear in the car?

is the weather cooler when you drive? hotter? ('choke' and a/c use have effects)

any idling done when you operate your car?

·
Registered
2013 OB limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaned out the PCV which helped it run better, but no improvement in acceleration...
RESET YOUR CVT!!! Made a world of difference. There are instructions found online and here in the forums but basically you disconnect the battery and hit the brakes to TOTALLY drain the battery, then turn the key on twice to ensure the battery & temp memory or whatever is totally drained. Then start the car, let it run for 30 sec, and drive it easy for 30 minutes. Made a WORLD of difference. On a related note, I was in the habit of using the paddles to downshift when approaching stops. I stopped doing that, as I suspect it contributed to the sluggish issue.

I feel like I have a new car. Thanks, all, for the thoughts and inspiration to dig into this deeper!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts