Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've researched this issue without finding a satisfying answer, and I'm looking to see if I can break the rules.

The only hitches available for my 2004 OBW are 1-1/4" due to towing and carrying capacity. The Curt Class II that's recommended on E-trailer has a 350lb tongue weight, which I think is more than enough to carry 4 mountain bikes (50lb rack plus 30lb bike x 4 bikes = 170lbs).

Trouble is the bike racks themselves only carry 4 bikes using a 2" hitch (I'm talking the nicer tray racks, not the top tube hanger ones). 1-1/4" hitches limit me to 2 or 3 bikes only.

I could install a 1-1/4" hitch, then add an adapter to fit a 2" rack to carry 4 bikes, but I know that adapters reduce the hitch tongue weight rating, and I don't love the idea of extending the effective lever arm (the rack) even further out with an adapter.

My other idea is to get a 1-1/4" hitch and see if I can find a metal shop that can modify it with a 2" receiver, but that's not easy either.

Anyone have experience with this? Other ideas?

TIA,
Rez

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey All,

I've researched this issue without finding a satisfying answer, and I'm looking to see if I can break the rules.

The only hitches available for my 2004 OBW are 1-1/4" due to towing and carrying capacity. The Curt Class II that's recommended on E-trailer has a 350lb tongue weight, which I think is more than enough to carry 4 mountain bikes (50lb rack plus 30lb bike x 4 bikes = 170lbs).

Trouble is the bike racks themselves only carry 4 bikes using a 2" hitch (I'm talking the nicer tray racks, not the top tube hanger ones). 1-1/4" hitches limit me to 2 or 3 bikes only.

I could install a 1-1/4" hitch, then add an adapter to fit a 2" rack to carry 4 bikes, but I know that adapters reduce the hitch tongue weight rating, and I don't love the idea of extending the effective lever arm (the rack) even further out with an adapter.

My other idea is to get a 1-1/4" hitch and see if I can find a metal shop that can modify it with a 2" receiver, but that's not easy either.

Anyone have experience with this? Other ideas?

TIA,
Rez

I have the same situation. What did you end up doing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same situation. What did you end up doing?
Gave up and went with the 1-1/4" hitch 😭 The only modifications I could find out there that other people have done were just way above my pay grade in skill and I couldn't find a mechanic or metal worker willing to deal with it. Granted I could've been more exhaustive in my search, but the best sources I had in town (Seattle) didn't go for it.

Currently tossed on my old 2-bike 2" rack with an adapter and it jostles around an uncomfortable amount even with only 1 bike on it. Planning to get a Kuat Transfer 3-bike 1-1/4" rack and I came across a pair of Thule roof trays pretty cheap in case I need to haul another bike or two.

Sorry I don't have something more helpful to share!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gave up and went with the 1-1/4" hitch 😭 The only modifications I could find out there that other people have done were just way above my pay grade in skill and I couldn't find a mechanic or metal worker willing to deal with it. Granted I could've been more exhaustive in my search, but the best sources I had in town (Seattle) didn't go for it.

Currently tossed on my old 2-bike 2" rack with an adapter and it jostles around an uncomfortable amount even with only 1 bike on it. Planning to get a Kuat Transfer 3-bike 1-1/4" rack and I came across a pair of Thule roof trays pretty cheap in case I need to haul another bike or two.

Sorry I don't have something more helpful to share!
I don’t know if it helps or hurts to hear that I’m having the same frustrations. And the style of mountain bikes we ride are difficult to mount on an upright rack, which is why we were looking for a 2” receiver for a flat black.

btw... We used to live in Snoqualmie, and rode the tiger mountain trails all the time. I miss it. Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts