Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2016 OB / 2008 Impreza / 1985 FJ60
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, so I got this 20" Baja Desings light bar sitting at home...
Im thinking of slapping it into the grill.....of a 2016 OB.

I have seen others place them on the lower grill, and/or on brush bars out and in the front of the bumper... and although they look good is not something I want to do...

Im more or less thinking of gutting the grill and trying to implement the light bar itself into the grill ( yes that would mean taking out the bumper and cutting into the grill... )

Resons I want to do this is cause I dont like that **** grill / logo and the upper section of the grill is blocked already in its stock form... so this would have little to no effect on the cooling system...
This would also lineup the lights to the same height of the headlights....
i just dont know if there would be enough material to anchor the light to, and or if there would be enought steel to make brackets to support the light into the grill.....

I dont want to do the bottom of the grill as I see air flow would be affected to whatever cooler is down there....and outside brush bars is not my style.....nothing in the roof either as this would create too much glare from the hood "me thinks".....

here is a crude pic of what Im talking about...

anybody's ideas, constructive criticisms is welcome....

Laters...

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 2.5i Limited Outback Wagon '05 2.5i Outback Wagon '05 Forester 2.5X '01 H6 Outback Wagon LL Bean (Totaled and dead) '98 2.5i Outback (dead and gone)
191 Posts
What brand is that bar you mounted them on?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium + Eyesight
53 Posts
@Kryptonite man3 Here is what you are looking for. I am trying to decide for myself whether to go for the RI Light Bar vs LP Adventures Bumper guard. Main thing is the price difference. I've read around that the RI light bar will crumple like tin foil if you accidentally hit it on anything. But the LP Adventures is just so **** expensive.... they haven't made the large version for the 18' yet.

RI Light bar MSRP $270 +$55 Shipping
Lp Adventure Bumper Guard (Small) MSRP: $420 + $100 Shipping

https://www.rallyinnovations.com/collections/rally-light-bar/products/2015-subaru-outback-rally-light-bar?variant=4399606659

https://lpaventure.com/products/lp-aventure-bumper-guard-smaller-version-outback-2015-2016?variant=20028495235

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium w/ moonroof and Power lift gate
19 Posts
@Kryptonite man3 Here is what you are looking for. I am trying to decide for myself whether to go for the RI Light Bar vs LP Adventures Bumper guard. Main thing is the price difference. I've read around that the RI light bar will crumple like tin foil if you accidentally hit it on anything. But the LP Adventures is just so **** expensive.... they haven't made the large version for the 18' yet.

RI Light bar MSRP $270 +$55 Shipping
Lp Adventure Bumper Guard (Small) MSRP: $420 + $100 Shipping

https://www.rallyinnovations.com/collections/rally-light-bar/products/2015-subaru-outback-rally-light-bar?variant=4399606659

https://lpaventure.com/products/lp-aventure-bumper-guard-smaller-version-outback-2015-2016?variant=20028495235

@RRGClimber I saw the rally innovations one today and i will NOT get it. The bull bar doesn't have skid plates and they actually CUT the stock skid plate leaving parts exposed. So i will be waiting for LP Adventures. it will be worth it for the extra security and protection. Hope it helps everyone!

·
Registered
53 Posts
@RRGClimber I saw the rally innovations one today and i will NOT get it. The bull bar doesn't have skid plates and they actually CUT the stock skid plate leaving parts exposed. So i will be waiting for LP Adventures. it will be worth it for the extra security and protection. Hope it helps everyone!
@Kryptonite man3 Good to know. I've held off on Rally Innovations as well. It is just hard to dish out the $ for the bumper guard and the skid plate from LP at the same time. I could get one and then the other a month or so apart, but I would have to leave the underside of the OB open during that time. I may go ahead and get the small bumper guard with the sale coming up. Would only be $315 + shipping with the 25% off...almost as cheap as the Rally Innovations---it could be some time before they get the large bumper guard out.

Per Mathieu Provencher Cotnoir from LP Adventures in the email I received today.
"The 2018 big bumper guard for the 2018 Outback will be the next one to be manufactured.
The R&D team will start the prototype model in the coming weeks."

Do you know if the Bumper Guard would void the warranty by chance?

Oh and HEADS UP! LP Adventures is having Black Friday Deal. 15-25% off all items. Use code BFCM17 at checkout!

·
Registered
19 Posts
@RRGClimber it shouldn't void any warranty. you are simply removing their stock plastic "skid plates" and adding a metal one and you are attaching the bar to 4 points that are already there on the frame of the car. i would double check but you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
@RRGClimber it shouldn't void any warranty. you are simply removing their stock plastic "skid plates" and adding a metal one and you are attaching the bar to 4 points that are already there on the frame of the car. i would double check but you should be good to go.

In the USA it cannot “void the warranty” by law. The statue only allows a vehicle manufacturer to refuse to cover aftermarket modifications and any damage that is caused, directly or indirectly, by the aftermarket modification.

In the case of skid plates, I can’t think of any damage that could be caused by their installation, especially since the Primitive Racing plates install into existing holes.

Primitive offers a plastic shield that provides coverage between the metal skid plate and the back of front number, the area covered by the stock plastic panel but left uncovered by the metal engine skid plate. I recommend this added piece, to help better retain stock coverage.

FWIW, I drove down to Portland last November and had my skid plates installed by the Primitive folks at their shop. They were really nice guys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In the USA it cannot “void the warranty” by law. The statue only allows a vehicle manufacturer to refuse to cover aftermarket modifications and any damage that is caused, directly or indirectly, by the aftermarket modification.

In the case of skid plates, I can’t think of any damage that could be caused by their installation, especially since the Primitive Racing plates install into existing holes.

Primitive offers a plastic shield that provides coverage between the metal skid plate and the back of front number, the area covered by the stock plastic panel but left uncovered by the metal engine skid plate. I recommend this added piece, to help better retain stock coverage.

FWIW, I drove down to Portland last November and had my skid plates installed by the Primitive folks at their shop. They were really nice guys.
Do either of you @hoppyjr or @Kryptonite man3 know if the primate skid plate is compatible with the LP Adventure bumper guard?? That would make my decision very easy if it does.

Would I be leaving much exposed if I drove around with no skid plate? I understand that you have to remove the OEM skid plate for good if you install the LP Adventure Bumper guard. And in the case of the Primitive plastic shield...is that something to goes with the primitive skid plate or the LP skid plate? Just a bit confused.

Thanks a bunch!! I hope I can get it figured out before Black Friday rolls around.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Do either of you @hoppyjr or @Kryptonite man3 know if the primate skid plate is compatible with the LP Adventure bumper guard?? That would make my decision very easy if it does.

Would I be leaving much exposed if I drove around with no skid plate? I understand that you have to remove the OEM skid plate for good if you install the LP Adventure Bumper guard. And in the case of the Primitive plastic shield...is that something to goes with the primitive skid plate or the LP skid plate? Just a bit confused.

Thanks a bunch!! I hope I can get it figured out before Black Friday rolls around.
I'm not an expert by any means and I don't know anything of the LP Adventure product.

There is NO factory skid plate, just a piece of moulded plastic. A splash guard at best. I assume it also serves to improve under-vehicle aerodynamics and dampen noise.

Does the LP product make a skid plate that can be fitted with their bumper guard? If I were forced to choose I'd prefer a skid plate that offers real protection over a bumper guard that is essentially cosmetic, but to each his own. If you are looking at the bumper guard mainly to mount lights, I believe there are other options which allow skid plate install, but I'll let those who know address that.

The plastic shield I mention is specifically designed to attach to the steel Primitive Skid Plate and to the bumper, in the same attachment points that the stock plastic shield attaches. The space it covers is about 6-10" if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means and I don't know anything of the LP Adventure product.

There is NO factory skid plate, just a piece of moulded plastic. A splash guard at best. I assume it also serves to improve under-vehicle aerodynamics and dampen noise.

Does the LP product make a skid plate that can be fitted with their bumper guard? If I were forced to choose I'd prefer a skid plate that offers real protection over a bumper guard that is essentially cosmetic, but to each his own. If you are looking at the bumper guard mainly to mount lights, I believe there are other options which allow skid plate install, but I'll let those who know address that.

The plastic shield I mention is specifically designed to attach to the steel Primitive Skid Plate and to the bumper, in the same attachment points that the stock plastic shield attaches. The space it covers is about 6-10" if memory serves me correctly.
The LP guard does have a skid plate for theirs, and it does provide more protection than most that i've seen out there, as it is metal and not plastic. The reason i am wanting this one is to not only mount additional lights but also have a guard that would protect, they mount theirs to the frame. Hope this helps answer some questions you have.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
Picture of my 2015 Outback with all the LP Aventure stuff. In addition to the skid plate I have the full armor kit on the bumper. In the picture I had not added the piece at the very front of the bumper.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Premium
2 Posts
I installed an LP small bumper guard and put my original plastic skid plate back on. I had to cut the plastic in three different areas and I'm happy the way it turned out. The cuts in the plastic didn't weaken it as I was able to use all the original fasteners. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see.
I didn't want to leave mine off as I live in a hot weather state and didn't want to disrupt the airflow.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
I installed an LP small bumper guard and put my original plastic skid plate back on. I had to cut the plastic in three different areas and I'm happy the way it turned out. The cuts in the plastic didn't weaken it as I was able to use all the original fasteners. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see.
I didn't want to leave mine off as I live in a hot weather state and didn't want to disrupt the airflow.
I'd be interested in pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts