Subaru Outback Forums banner

'20 Onyx... 4 (FOUR) OEM replacement windshields with defects... anyone else?

2622 Views 26 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  jeff311omaha
My first windshield on my '20 OB Onyx cracked on the driver's side much like the crack seen in another thread here.

This happened early in the car's life and well inside of the 3/36 warranty period.

I though that it was a defective windshield because it appeared overnight with no apparent cause.

My dealer told me it was due to a chip he could feel with a pen.

YEAH, WHATEVER!

My insurance company paid for an OEM replacement which was installed by a local glass company.

I picked it up on a cloudy day but the next day had enough sun to reveal lots of strange micro cracks
in the glass.

They were positioned about 5°-30° clockwise off vertical and could not have been caused by the sweep of the wipers.

Well... after two more new OEM windshields with the same issue I called Subaru Of America.

They arranged the fourth one and it has the same defect.

I am awaiting an answer on next steps.

Each windshield was videoed and the defects are obvious if the sun is in the right position.

Have any of you had a new OEM windshield installed and found these defects?
Reactions: SilverOnyx
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
323 Posts
I just got a Pilkington replacement for my 22 limited. It was a legit rock, good sized damage and then wipers with water sent the large crack. MY question is for anyone that had a Pilkington, do you have the wiper de-icer or not? I just realized the idiots at Safelight didn't give me a windshield with the de icer lines! GRRR
I got a Pilkington last year April (2022). It has the de icer lines as well. They are definitely visible / working up here. I saw your other posts on the forum here with DanielAcosta but I do not know if I have a FW 4934 or FW 4935.

· Registered
39 Posts
I got a Pilkington last year April (2022). It has the de icer lines as well. They are definitely visible / working up here. I saw your other posts on the forum here with DanielAcosta but I do not know if I have a FW 4934 or FW 4935.
Thanks. I am going to have to wait till I get back to the NE I suppose to find out if they have the deicer or not. I contacted Pilk and they said that all their windshields have it in it, so maybe they got even better at hiding them. I will update when I finally have a test! :)

· Registered
567 Posts
I have a 20 onyx, bought new. February 22 I had a rock hit while going about 70. Left a crack immediately that spread coast to coast over a few weeks. This was at about 30-35k miles. I had it replaced by Safelite, though I can't say which glass manufacturer I got. I have heard a few impacts in the year since then but no more chips or cracks. They did give my glass with wiper defrosters and they performed the Eyesight calibration.

Include me in the group of owners that did not have a defect failure, only a true rock impact crack.

· Registered
2020 Subaru Legacy | Factory High
61 Posts
My brand new 20 Legacy windshield cracked 4 days after driving it off the lot! It had less than 200 miles on it. The dealership fixed it immediately. When it broke again while sitting at a stop sign 3 months later I knew something was wrong. I'm on windshield #5 and my lease is up in ONE WEEK. Due to the horrible timing of loan/lease figures I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the car when the lease is up, but MAN am I not looking forward to $900 replacements out of pocket every year :(

· Registered
39 Posts
My brand new 20 Legacy windshield cracked 4 days after driving it off the lot! It had less than 200 miles on it. The dealership fixed it immediately. When it broke again while sitting at a stop sign 3 months later I knew something was wrong. I'm on windshield #5 and my lease is up in ONE WEEK. Due to the horrible timing of loan/lease figures I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the car when the lease is up, but MAN am I not looking forward to $900 replacements out of pocket every year :(
dang, that is insane! Have you had all Subaru glass?

· Registered
2020 Subaru Legacy | Factory High
61 Posts
dang, that is insane! Have you had all Subaru glass?
They were all replaced at the same dealership, so I'm assuming so. I don't know which specific brands were used, but most of these replacements were covered by SOA, as NONE of them were impact-related (and verified by their tech) but I don't think that will be the case moving forward.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts