Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installation instructions:
PDF (1.4MB): http://subaru.FMGreen.net/SpoilerDIY/SubaruGenuineSpoilerInstallationInstructions.pdf

Allow me to preface this by referencing the info from user: quazar, about halfway through this thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10494

...the spoiler mounts with 2 holes on each side.. slightly staggered.. i believe that the lower holes in the template were about 1/4 off as in too far in. i drilled the holes according to the template and then i ended up widening the lower holes closer to an oval shape to get the studs from the spoiler to fit.

hope that helps!
Indeed, when I taped them up and held the spoiler up to do a visual check, the holes on my OEM templates were also incorrectly spaced. I ended up eyeballing the whole proces, using the templates as a starting point, but then adjusting adjusting my marks manually.
I aligned the two "lower" holes (back of the gate) first and then the two "upper" holes (side of the gate). In the end, I ended up having to widen the two upper holes, as they were spaced quite poorly. I ended up with two holes on the top that were about 3/4" oval each.

Be very careful and don't trust the OEM templates.
Don't be scared away, just go slow, measure twice (or three, or eleven times...) and then drill.

On to the pictures. Say hello to my dad's 71 year old mason, sandpaper hands...

0) Remove interior vertical trim pieces.

1) Attach the OEM plastic templates to the top of the hatch.

2) Use a metal punch to create a point for your drill to start from.

3) Say a prayer

4) Drill...

5) Punch your mark for the second hole.

6) Drill...

7) Repeat on the other side.

8) Apply touch-up paint, or some other protectant, to the surfaces you drilled.

9) Insert spoiler bolt-posts through the holes you drilled.

10) Attach nuts to these bolts.
(It's in there...behind the wires)

11) Attach bolts to the spoiler through the other holes you drilled.

12) Apply touch-up paint, or some other protectant, to the interior surfaces and around the bolts.

13) Reinstall vertical trim pieces

Enjoy the finished product!

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
2,999 Posts
Excellent! Nice job Greenie! I maybe inspired to do some more moddin' soon. ;)

·
Registered
02 obw / 87 supra big turbo / 05 obw xt / 11 obw
92 Posts
looks great!

i am thinking picking one up later and i actually found few second hand ones fairly cheap. does anyone know if i could get templates by it self anywhere

cheers

·
Registered
02 Outback H6-3.0 LLB
207 Posts
Might try breaking up a grease pencil, sticking bits of them in the mounting holes in the spoiler.

Then align the template onto the car as per instructions, and mark the template holes onto the car using the grease pencil again.

Remove the template and convert the marks you just made into an "X"

Now, pick the spoiler and gently place it into its mounting position, and press firmly and evenly.

Remove the spoiler, and you should have little marks on your car where the the bits of grease pencil in the mounting holes marked the correct position.

Now you can look and see how far off the template is and readjust, if you have to use the template for some reason.

Or just drill the holes marked by your spoiler.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,786 Posts
This spoiler is not available new anywhere, leaves EBay and Junk Yards.
yup,

and the junk yards can confuse them in their computers with the cheaper smoked black plastic dust deflector.

so it is going to be hit or miss with craigslist part outs, and rare.

So yeah for EBAY. (maybe), plus shipping.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,786 Posts
Ok, found one on Ebay...Now need to know the mounting hardware info. anyone have that info? Hate to guess due to the restricted space in there. Bolt and nut.
does the paint code match the car you got? If you hit it with a rattle can, even a custom mixed one it will look like h3ll,...as the paint area is so big and close to your eye. vs. someone with experience doing it with a air brush / sprayer.

both my spoilers were on the cars when I bought them.

highly recommended here before:
pro-body shop, with their paint, and them putting it on. they will remove the top trim on the inside and center it.

you might have to ask at a subaru dealer for the "folio" printed of how one is supposed to be mounted. (this is really old, and really rare at this point,...back when the cars were new they had this stuff on microfilm, but hopefully they can log into a subaru corp. system that still has it).

from this past spring, and a 2003 wagon:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/142273-just-scored-outback-spoiler-how-do-i-remove.html

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
Interesting... the spoiler was the first thing that I have removed from my 10 Forester XT...
I just don't like those at all....they serve absolutely no purpose....IMHO

·
Registered
01 OB, 02 OBS & 08 FXT
415 Posts
Interesting... the spoiler was the first thing that I have removed from my 10 Forester XT...
I just don't like those at all....they serve absolutely no purpose....IMHO
I'm usually totally form over function as well, but a spoiler helps these cars look much better in my opinion. So aesthetics do occasionally win out for me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.