Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
I'm not sure I'd go the Bi-X route. There are universal projectors out there. IMO, that would be MUCH easier to install. Youtube some videos. I've seen complete tutorials for retrofitting older vehicles with the universal projector kits.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Look into posts by Brownmutt here on the forums, he has done a lot of this type of work and sells them frequently.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I got the HID retrofit kit from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications with excellent results in my Accord. The one I used is a Bi-xenon (which only means its a high and low beam) Mini H1 along with the relay harness and ballast. If you don't care to get your hands dirty and want something different I'd say go for it. Some options are TL, S2000, TSX, FX35, E55 and many other OEM projectors, though they get a little bigger and need more work to be installed correctly. Like someone else noted there are links to how to's from youtube as well as on HIDPlanet.com. Feel free to ask any other questions if you need to.

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Morimoto Mini H1 and D2S are both too long to mount them with the screwing method and I already have a set of E46 projectors at home so I will use them even though there are probably better options out there. Since I have to use the GT headlights space is the limiting factor....

Sadly most of Brownmutts pictures are not online anymore.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
I'd be happy if I could just get the low-beams to turn off when the high-beams go on.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
The low beams brightly light up the area close to the car, washing out the dimmer reflected light from far objects, so yes, it would improve the view of distant areas greatly.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
I have a set of brownmutthid's retrofitted housings, and they are GREAT. Originally I just had an HID kit in the stock housings and they were pretty obnoxious, and before that I had the fancy Osram bulbs that Daniel Stern recommends, and before that PIAAs. The HID kit created tons of glare in rain and snow, and washed out badly in wet conditions. The only complaint I have about the projectors is that they do not auto level, so in hilly country, there are times where the lights are pointed way down, and you can't really see anything. Beyond that they're the best lights you can get, and they won't be hard on other drivers, and combined with my PIAA 520 fogs they're outstanding in any kind of weather.

BTW the Bi-Xenon operation on these works quite well too.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
I am pretty sure it was the Morimotos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts