Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to be replacing my coil pack due to a p0302 error. I had noticed that my wires to the plug have a split wire with extra wire attached to nowhere. Would this cause an issue? My engine is running very rough and lack of power. Seems it's from the cylinder 2. Here is a pic of the coil plug.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,307 Posts
miles on this? subaru coils for H4 N/A cars last a long long long time.

I would only swap coils with a used "subaru' labeled coil,

or maybe a new NGK / NTK labeled one. (the NGK/ NTK spark plug company just started making some).

rest of the aftermarket coils are known JUNK.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
You may want to get a set of NGK or Subaru ignition wires too. Your pic didn't post because of your post count.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
161k miles. the bank 2 in my coil looks as if it had started to melt. Just bought this car not too long ago private sale.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
The extra red and white wire is taped to the green wire.
That doesn't look right. I just sold my 2000 or I'd have a look to compare. I replaced my coil with an NGK a couple of years ago and have had no problems or P030* CEL DTCs since then. @Brucey bought the car and replaced the plugs and wires. Perhaps he can help you with the coil wire mystery.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,400 Posts
I had this code on a friends car. The plug wire had broke down. Replacing it fixed it. Changed plugs for good measure.

I'll check if the wire looks the same and report back.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,696 Posts
if you bought the correct NGK plugs, they come out of the box gapped correctly.

I THINK your plugs should be 1.1mm or around .040"

someone will know

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,307 Posts
if you bought the correct NGK plugs, they come out of the box gapped correctly.

I THINK your plugs should be 1.1mm or around .040"

someone will know
somewhere I was watching a video from a spark plug company, and the rep making the video said to always check them,

as they can get dropped/ kicked / and bounced around enough in the boxes from the factory to your finger to get out of gap spec.

...so check for safety vs. being sorry later.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the plug replies. I'm gonna get ngk iridium IX they are supposed to be a 0.044 gap. They should fit. But as I am newer to this work I like to Cover all my bases. As you said better safe than sorry. And thanks for the heads up I will check to make sure they are still at the 0.044 gap.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,696 Posts
check carefully - the little rare earth nubbin can be knocked off by the feeler gauge.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,307 Posts
Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm wondering If I can undo my mystery wire and but cap the green wire back together or maybe even soder. Think either would cause a issue? I am currently running low on funds due to single income atm. Would just be temporary maybe a month at the most, before getting a new plug. And thank you all for your time.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,400 Posts
When did this start?

It's odd that that wire would disconnect itself and solder itself to another without you noticing.

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
I'm wondering If I can undo my mystery wire and but cap the green wire back together or maybe even soder. Think either would cause a issue? I am currently running low on funds due to single income atm. Would just be temporary maybe a month at the most, before getting a new plug. And thank you all for your time.
When did the misfire code appear -- as soon as you drove away after buying the car, or if applicable, how many weeks and miles later?

In the photo, the far left wire (green, or could it be light blue?) appears to be at terminal #4 of the connector. That wire is the ignition control for cylinders 3 & 4. If that's correct, then I don't think the red mystery wire is a factor in the P0302 misfire code as the terminal #4 wire isn't involved with cylinder 2.

(Perhaps tape the red wire to ensure it stays in place and can't contact anything else.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The misfiring started about 200 miles. It ran great at first, then some hiccups then undrivable atm.
They guy I bought it from turned out more sketchy then he seemed. The car was advertised as "inspectable as is" but sure enough had to replace my rear subframe. And he let gas sit and get stale which made it way through the system when i drove it home. Fuel filter was first thing replaced along with running fuel cleaner and full tank to help clear remnants of old gas.

I'm assuming he was the one that added that red extra wire? He had replaced the timing and head gasket as well before selling. So I was told lol. After the issue had started I had noticed he bookmarked the car manual at the cel page, (thinking he knew more issues but just got rid of it, couldn't figure it out.)

Yea, that's a good idea to just tape off that wire. I sometimes over think things. As you said it should go to the 3,4 which I am not having issues with atm. There does seem to be oil around terminal 2.

Tuesday my wires plugs and coil should be in and hopefully car will run proper. It seems I have rambled a little but that's all the info on the car.
I greatly appreciate everyone's time and help!!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,307 Posts
where did you get the plugs/ wires/ coil?

those are the type of things I get from rockauto / amazon.

....and when I cost compare with the local parts store chains,...it kind of saddens me thinking of the poor people stuck going in there to buy them in a rush because they may not be able to wait another day or 2 to get them in the mail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Amazon non third party sales. I love Amazon prime shipping.

Haven't used rockauto yet but, that will be my next site for ordering when I can't find what's needed on amazon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts