Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Legacy GT with 120k in MN. I purchased it with 96k and during the first winter of ownership noticed that at extremely cold temperatures (15 degrees F or colder) that when I would start the car, the brakes would be very unresponsive/stiff as if there were no power assist. Drive for a few minutes, brakes and pedal function normally. I figured there must be moisture in the line, so I did a fluid flush, had the brakes checked out and was told the rears were seized and needed the calipers rebuilt, which I did. The issue is now back as we're headed into cold weather. Any ideas what is causing this and how it can be fixed?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Lots of moisture in the brake fluid - pins that need to be cleaned greased and or replaced on the calipers etc etc. My parents had an old Buick that did this nearly zero braking power on cold days. Given I got stuck with it for a few weeks I couldn't stand it and it was dangerous. Flushed the fluid twice and it made a big difference. A few of the calipers had suffered enough bad fluid though that eventually they would have needed to be replaced.

The cheap after market calipers will rust something bad - make sure you get quality OEM calipers if you plan on replacing them or keeping the car longer term.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
There is another thread going on this very issue.

It's water in the check valve in the vacuum line to the brake booster.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Seems like the thing to do is pull it and shoot WD40 through it until the moisture is gone. Here was a bulletin on prior models I found in addition to numerous other posts that didn't state how to pull it, etc.
http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT 53-0002.pdf
Did it last night, will report back once it gets colder (40s this week) on whether or not it worked

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
babiker712
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing