Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 obw with 2.5L and am doing the timing belt, water pump and cam crank seal change. The crank seal is flush with the block and came out easy. Cams are recessed and won't budge. I thougt there was a small gap between the seal and the head. In my case there is not. I cut into one to see what the problem was and it looks like it's flush up against the head. Was hoping this would be easier but don't we all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see how it fits now. Mine is not coming out easy, mostly in pieces. How should I clean the rest of the seal out of there. Is there a solvent? Might it have been installed with RTV or something?

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Someone trying to install aftermarket seals may have put rtv on them to try and help them fit. The correct seals press in with light tapping pressure. Use a seal installer or a socket the same size as the outer ridge of the seal and install them to flush with the block and heads.

You can clean it with any solvent, but try to remove as much of the "putty" as possible to reduce the amount of time scrubbing it. Clean the seal surface with 000 steel whool and a light coat of oil.

Hope you picked up your seals from Subaru and not the parts store down the street. The aftermarket seals won't fit proper and will leak.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One way of removing seals that I have used successfully is to punch two holes, 180 degrees apart, using an ice pick and a hammer. Then, install two small self-tapping screws. Use pliers to pull out the seal out by pulling on the screws. It's worked every time for me. This method does not screw up the seal area at all.

Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read about the drill holes and use screws but the area that the seal fits in has a lip or something and the seal is pressed all the way up against it. I have looked at the new seal and it doesn't look like it has a metal backer so my only guess is that is some sort of lip on the head that I don't want to mess up. Can anyone tell me that I am right or wrong on this. Found plenty of STI pics but not much non turbo stuff. Don't want to pull cover and move cam. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
OldSVTGuy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing