Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 5MT H4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a some questions regarding my transmission I was wondering if anyone could help me with.
First of all my clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is almost all the way out. Does this mean its needs replacing? Both my front axles have torn inner boots and were they connect to the transmission output shafts have alot of play. Could the output shaft bearings need replacing? Is this a common problem? I don't hear any strange noises going down the road. I have seen sleeve repair kits for the output shafts online. Could that likely repair this problem? I bought some used oem axles from a junk yard but they appear to have the output shafts still connected by the roll pins on the inner joints. Can the output shafts come out of the transmission still connected to the shafts without damaging anything. I read some were that the front and rear axle shafts are identical on this model car. Is this true? When I bought this car back in December it was hard to shift and often would grind going into reverse and 5th. I changed the gear oil with Extra S and it shifts alot smoother now but still grinds into reverse and 5th often. Today I changed the gear oil again and added half a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. I'm really hoping this can make the tranny last a good long time as I really cant afford to replace it right now.

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,475 Posts
High catching clutch is generally a sign that the disc is worn down and the pressure plate springs are getting to full extension before pressure is applied well. Plan on replacement.

The inner stubs will come out with the shaft without damaging anything. You may want to work it out where you do the axles at the same time as the clutch. You'll be removing the axles for the clutch.

The play, is it in the joint? The boots being torn lets the grease out. If its been that way long enough, there may be wear in the joints due to lack of lubrication.

Front and rear axles are different lengths and are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subaru outback 2000 manual clutch / transmission problem

I have my sub outback 2000 clutch replaced 06 mo ago. the clutch was an after market, not OEM. For the last 02 days when I try to accelerate, the car emits a fume that smells likes some thing is burning. What would cause it other than clutch or transmission?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a some questions regarding my transmission I was wondering if anyone could help me with.
First of all my clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is almost all the way out. Does this mean its needs replacing? Both my front axles have torn inner boots and were they connect to the transmission output shafts have alot of play. Could the output shaft bearings need replacing? Is this a common problem? I don't hear any strange noises going down the road. I have seen sleeve repair kits for the output shafts online. Could that likely repair this problem? I bought some used oem axles from a junk yard but they appear to have the output shafts still connected by the roll pins on the inner joints. Can the output shafts come out of the transmission still connected to the shafts without damaging anything. I read some were that the front and rear axle shafts are identical on this model car. Is this true? When I bought this car back in December it was hard to shift and often would grind going into reverse and 5th. I changed the gear oil with Extra S and it shifts alot smoother now but still grinds into reverse and 5th often. Today I changed the gear oil again and added half a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. I'm really hoping this can make the tranny last a good long time as I really cant afford to replace it right now.

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
Hey Matt I'm having a similar issue with my 2000 subaru legacy wagon 5 spd and there is a whining sound coming from my tranny sadly I think my inner dif bearings are done however I am going to put new gear oil and use some Lucas oil to maybe keep my tranny going soon. Do you think the Lucas oil stabilizer is a better product than the lucas trans Fix for this sort of thing?
Cheers 🍻

1 - 4 of 4 Posts