Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, 2.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new to this site, and this is the first blog/thread/forum that i have ever created; so please bear with me...

Anyhow I recently purchased a 2000 Outback Limited and love it. Sadly I had to drop bombs and replace the wheel bearings, hubs, all the ball joints, struts and r&p boots, now that I have put all this work into the necessities, I would like to splurge and add some performance. I have no clue where to start: I was thinking cold air intake with a shortback cam, or a simple mod... then maybe a chip or something??? I am a good mechanic I just dont know **** about performance..

Any tips would be amazing!!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,450 Posts
What is your budget? There are not a lot of ways to get more HP out of a non turbo Outback that are cost effective. Factory intake is a cold air intake, although a slightly restrictive one for sound deadening. 99.9% of chips are garbage.

Best bang for buck mods are in handling: brakes, anti-sway bars, tires will result in the most seat of pants improvement. Also making sure your car is tuned-up, has fresh fluids, and your tires are inflated to at least the PSI on the doorjamb.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,450 Posts

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,450 Posts
^^^ I'm a mod, it's what I do.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, 2.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow. Thanks for all the replies. I would really like to do some anti sway bars and maybe get a turbo kit in the future. what are your thoughts on that? what all would i need to do to put a turbo in? would it be worth while to do my exhaust even if i never get around to a turbo?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,450 Posts
Swaybars would be good. Rallitek and Whiteline make the most popular ones.

Turbo...would be more hassle than it is worth in my opinion. If you want a turbo, find a WRX, Legacy GT, Outback XT, or Forester XT and start modding it up. In my opinion, it is easier and more cost effective to mod a performance built platform to higher performance than an average platform to performance without running into extra hassles.

·
Registered
99 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5 5SPD
41 Posts
Hi, If you haven't already bought a sway bar, ADDCO makes them for the Outbacks. Also NGK Iridium Plugs make a huge difference in performance. I have a 99OB Wagon with 190,000 miles and it really was improved by adding Michelin HydroEdge tires too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.