Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2000 outback limited with 162,000 miles, recent timing belt and water pump change and run's great, lately though especially the first start in the morning i'll turn the key and there is a second or two delay till it turn's over to start.
Could this be the relay or the starter itself?? Cleaned the battery terminal's and I don't think that was the problem.
Any ideas??:confused:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Do I understand correctly?

When you turn the key to the START position, nothing happens -- the starter motor doesn't begin to turn, and consequently, the engine doesn't crank over.

Is there any "click" coming from the area of the starter when the key is turned to the START position? If there is, yet the starter doesn't being to run, there's a good possibility the starter solenoid isn't working properly. It could be bad contacts inside the solenoid -- not unusual.

Also, sometimes the solenoid plunger can become stiff due to old grease etc, so that it doesn't move easily. This could lead to delay. In this case there might not be any sound coming from the starter area when the key is turned to START, and then a moment later there's a click and the engine starts to turn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is correct no sound, no clicking, like i did'nt even turn the key, then a couple seconds later it will start right up:confused:

·
Registered
14 ob limited
310 Posts
This could be anything from bad connection/contacts to a weak starter. You need to have this looked at by a qualified technician. Without knowing if current or what amount is being drawn it is just a guesstimate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to work on it and figure it out myself, it does not do it all the time so, it's not really annoying yet:) If its the relay or the starter I believe I can change them myself. I did change the timing belt, water pump, and the seals myself a couple of week's ago. Sort of like the challenge. Plus it is my second hand car so, would like to avoid stealership prices:D

·
Registered
14 ob limited
310 Posts
Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

If so then check the voltage at different points in the circuit, or if you have an amp meter that is rated high enough measure the current or current loses.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,313 Posts
if the lights are on, or if you monitor the dash lights, do they dim during the period where nothing happens?

also, does 'jiggling' the key seem to help?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,837 Posts
If you don't have one, get a test light. $3-5 at a parts store. Pull the starter relay. There will be four pins, 30, 87 are the two you want and generally their positions on the relay are numbered on the pin side. Check bat and ground at the relay box. One will have battery power all the time, the other, ground. If you have both, jump the pins with a paper clip, large one, and see if the starter turns right away or lags as it has been. Lag or no crank, replace the starter. If it does, move on to checking the ignition circuit by pulling the smaller wire from the starter and checking it with a test light by having someone in the car turn the key while you have the light attached. If there is a delay, its in the ignition switch, if no delay, replace the starter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it was good for awhile and after work this evening it did it again, this time it took about 30 second's to get it to turnover.
Yes, the lights were on but, no clicking. Could this be the contacts for the starter??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 Subaru Outback. When I turn the key nothing happens for about 10 to 15 seconds, at that point the instrument panel will light up and I'm able to start the car. Any ideas where I should start with diagnosis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts