Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 outback and have an electrical issue. driving with the lights on, every so often they seem to brighten for a moment( probably how they should be), the instrument panel brightens and the ABS light, and battery light flash on, also when i run the heater fan on high it the warning lights flash sometime on. it doesnt seem to be affected by bumps in the road. any thoughts on how to fix? i was thinking an alternator or connection somewhere loose. thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
This could be a fault in the regulator for the alternator, sporadic loose connection on a ground or battery + cable or a weak battery.

Check the amperage output of the battery. If its above 400, move on to ground conductivity between the battery and alternator case. Any more than 100 A loss and you have a weak or loose ground.

The alternator can only be checked with a good battery, so check the battery first, then grounds, positive cable connection and lastly the alternator. The best way to test the alternator is to gradually add loads to the system using high beam lights, AC on high, hazards on, stereo up mid way and check the voltage output after turning each one on.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
clean up your connections and i suspect the alternator. testing is the way to go...looks like he's got some good procedures up there, i'm not well versed in that.

how many miles?

Check the amperage output of the battery. If its above 400, move on to ground conductivity between the battery and alternator case. Any more than 100 A loss and you have a weak or loose ground.
you mean milliamps?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
clean up your connections and i suspect the alternator. testing is the way to go...looks like he's got some good procedures up there, i'm not well versed in that.

how many miles?

you mean milliamps?
No. I mean amps. Your battery is rated in CCA. This is the amperage output the battery should have available as a minimum. A battery can show 12 volts and put out low amps.

Amp flow is the baseline measurement. Your fuses aren't rated in volts are they? No. Amps.

The higher the amperage flow the better. It helps the alternator function properly and makes for long life. All the electronics work more efficient and those aftermarket stereo systems that draw a lot of current, when cabled properly through the ground system, will punch better. (I just love seeing these systems installed with a "0" battery cable feeding from the amp and a small 10-12 gauge wire for a ground.)

·
Registered
'00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy - all rusted RIP, current: 2016 Focus MT
4,804 Posts
I had something similar happen on my '00obw, something happened to the alternator and it started putting out 16V. The lights were really bright, and the ABS light did come on too (I think it doesn't like voltage outside a certain range).

·
Registered
'00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy - all rusted RIP, current: 2016 Focus MT
4,804 Posts
I mean a supply voltage outside a certain range, I don't know what it is but say it is 11V to 15V, then it might throw a code above 15V. It is one of the 'basic checks' listed in the troubleshooting process 'improper battery voltage'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts