Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I've got some problems with my exhaust. First off, the heatshields are rattling like crazy. And more importantly I have a hole in the exhaust right after the cat and before the muffler so now I have a nice dune buggy sound.

My question to you guys is, where can I find and for what price can I find a brand new, close to original spec, exhaust.

Thanks guys,

Razz

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Hey everyone.

I've got some problems with my exhaust. First off, the heatshields are rattling like crazy. And more importantly I have a hole in the exhaust right after the cat and before the muffler so now I have a nice dune buggy sound.

My question to you guys is, where can I find and for what price can I find a brand new, close to original spec, exhaust.

Thanks guys,

Razz
As for the heat shields, I used metal hose clamps on mine and they're silent now. If they start rattling again, I may tear them off.

Are you sure you want/need a whole new exhaust system? It would probably cost a LOT to do that. I believe my H6 has three cats, and I think your H4 has two, and they're not cheap (and almost never go bad). Honestly, I'd just have a muffler shop patch the hole if possible (depends on size, I suppose) or just cut out the bad piece of pipe and weld in a new one.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Get several $5 hose clamps. Heat shield rattle solved.

Find decent muffler shop. Patch/replacing stock system will occur.

Little $$$ lots solved.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
repair the existing pipe - shops can do this easily and it's actually really cheap.

1. weld the hole
2. weld in new pipe just where the hole is
3. weld on new flanges worst case scenario

all of those options require almost no parts or materials cost....so it's very inexpensive if you can find an honest shop to do it.

the Subaru converters are very robust and you don't want to replace them with cheap aftermarket stuff if you don't have too. and they are insanely expensive from Subaru. like many hundreds of dollars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts