Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Outback that has close to 160k miles on it. I got it new to me a little after it was at 150k. I am finding some cheap things I can do to the car to help it get closer to its new condition. One such thing that I have read about is grounding mods. In those discussions it has been said that the factory grounds are sufficient if they are kept clean.

I have electric de-greaser and dielectric grease to treat each of these grounding locations in the engine compartment to stave off head gasket issues as well as just make sure the engine has a solid reference to ground.

The problem is that I do not know where all of these locations are. I have identified 6 so far in the engine compartment, but am pretty sure there must be more. Is there documentation anywhere that shows these different locations in the engine compartment and for the transmission? Or if there isn't official documentation if someone has found these and knows where they are? Thanks for any help given.

I cleaned off the battery terminals and made sure those were solid and cleaned one chassis connection off the battery terminal and it may just be my imagination but it seems to be running a bit smoother now.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I would interested in this as well since I am having issues that may be traced to wiring.

Any response to this bump would be appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If nothing else, would it be helpful for me to take pictures of where I have found the ones I have for your sake?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate you linking us to the information! That looks like a great resource that I will tap later on. For now though, I don't have money that I can spend on such a subscription.

For those of us without extra monies, has anyone found/documented the grounding points or know of another source (manual or another forum) that details this? My internet searches haven't turned up anything very useful as "grounding points" is too vague for google and it just links me to anything that mentions grounding or is trying to sell me earthing kits.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The two most important ground connections are those between the battery and the body shell (located either at the top radiator support, or behind the battery), and of course between the battery and the engine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two most important ground connections are those between the battery and the body shell (located either at the top radiator support, or behind the battery), and of course between the battery and the engine.
I got those. I was just figuring that while I was in there I may as well do all of the others since the car has 160k miles on it almost and I am not the original owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
CaptainOHair
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing