Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 Outback...the passenger head light does not work on low beam but works when I put the high beam on. I inspected all if the connections and found one that was melted and that is probably the culprit but where the **** do I get one of those things and how do I fix it thanks

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,498 Posts
I just bought a 2000 Outback...the passenger head light does not work on low beam but works when I put the high beam on. I inspected all if the connections and found one that was melted and that is probably the culprit but where the **** do I get one of those things and how do I fix it thanks
I believe you are referring to the bulb socket? You can search salvage yards or call Subaru parts. You may find one at the parts stores; iffy. If its melted, cut the wire close in to the socket and take it with you for comparison. The obstacle you will face is how it locks into the headlight assembly. Some models use GM style sockets.

The bulb blows and shorts out within causing the socket to melt due to the heat build up so you shouldn't have to look for a short. When you wire a new one in, be sure to use "heat sink" but connectors to get a good seal on the wires. You can use a hair dryer for the heat.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
There was a recall several years ago on the 2005 Subaru headlamps, I think it was the low beams.

Anyway, I asked if they would just give me the bulbs, I would replace them, then I would give them the OEM bulbs back.

Oh, no, no, no, we couldn't possibly do THAT, after all, if YOU DO SOMETHING WRONG, WE'RE LIABLE FOR IT! We must do the work, or don't have it done at all!

Fine, I set up an appointment, go in, wait 20 minutes, finished. I go home, I open the hood, I look, the left headlamp back round screw-on sealed cap says TOP on it and TOP is on the bottom! OK, not really something to cry over, I remove the rear cap, see the new bulb, OK, put the cap back on.

I go to the one with the battery in the way, I manage to get the cap off (Top was UP this time!), I look at the headlamp bulb and I could not believe what I saw!

The tiny wire lever that LOCKS into place on a V-shaped piece of metal was NOT LOCKED IN PLACE AT ALL, but was, instead, installed so the metal wire holding in the bulb was on the TOP of the point of the V, READY TO POP in ONE of two directions, ready to pop on so the bulb is secured, or ready to pop OFF so the bulb is flopping around on every bump!

I called the dealer and lit into them about not letting me do the work on my own vehicle because of the liability, then I told them about how their guy screwed up big time on BOTH SIDES OF THE CAR! I mean, I think I learned the WORD 'TOP' at least by FIRST GRADE!

~hey, maybe they were hoping that I would come in within a few months with a completely-fried headlamp assembly!~ Why not, it would have ALL BEEN ON WARRANTY!:confused:

·
Registered
2004 H6 3.0 LL Bean
3 Posts
Ceramic H1 pigtail

I ordered these just last night, by using HID1 bulbs I generated enough heat to destroy the plug.

HERE:
Automotive Connectors

Description Unit price Qty Amount
Pigtail
Item# Socket , Color: H1 Ceramic , Type: Pigtail $4.49 USD 2 $8.98 USD
Subtotal $8.98 USD
Shipping and handling $8.00 USD
Total $16.98 USD
Payment $16.98 USD

I wanted the 90degree connector but could not locate. I'll solder in the pigtail and use heat shrink tubing to seal.

J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts